AC type AF fuel pump rebuild tip

Topics about the engine, transmission, transfer, axles, or wheels/brakes of GMC 2 1/2 ton trucks.

AC type AF fuel pump rebuild tip

Postby pfarber » Mon May 25, 2009 9:54 pm

I was rebuilding my fuel pump with a master rebuild kit (although not specifically for the CCKW fuel pump is was a type AF rebuild kit) and one part you get is PIN, rocker arm GM-11521468 that you have to set/expand.

Here are the pics of the final part of the rebuild. Using a deep well 3/16th socket to support the head, I used a center punch to spread the hollow end of the pin over a captive link. A few taps with a hammer and she's all rebuilt!!

pin1.jpg
pin1.jpg (14.93 KiB) Viewed 4829 times

Here's the pin that connect the link to the arm and also allows the primer lever to actuate the link no matter if the arm is actuated by the cam lobe or
not.

pin2.jpg
pin2.jpg (16.94 KiB) Viewed 4829 times

Here's the 3/16th deep well socket used as a bucking bar to keep it seated while I tapped on the center punch to expand the other end

pin3.jpg
pin3.jpg (15.77 KiB) Viewed 4829 times

Here's the result. Since this is not an official CCKW fuel pump rebuild kit the metal keeper is not a 'stock' part. But its a more elegant solution than smashing the pin into a formed head to keep the pin in place. I'll live with the ridicule of not having a 100% CCKW fuel pump. :lol:

pump.jpg
pump.jpg (30.1 KiB) Viewed 4829 times

Here's the rebuilt pump. Installing the internals is not difficult.
The pump was bead blasted with glass beads and a Harbor Freight hand held siphon blaster, then assembled. The new fuel bowl and bale were e-bay finds. The gentleman I got the pump from sent both a glass and metal bowl, the metal bowl is not in good condition and the glass bowl is wrong.

TM9-1828A is available in the Technical Publications portion of this site.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Engine/Drivetrain