PTO/WINCHES Chevy G506 4 speed 235 6cyl.

Topics relating to the Power Take Off or Winches installed on Chevy 1 1/2 ton trucks.

PTO/WINCHES Chevy G506 4 speed 235 6cyl.

Postby peltonman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:29 pm

I have tried finding information on what winch is used on G506,also G508, CCKW, and what brand and pull rating . I need a PTO for my 1942 Chevy 4 speed in the G506, I can get one that came from a Chevy 2 1/2 ton 6x6 from the information I got., WW2 year truck. What I need to know is will it fit .It was also in a 4 speed transmission. Do the 2 1/2 Ton 6x6 use the same transmission? Or do they take the same PTO? I do not want to buy stuff that won't work. What brand is the PTO ? Thanks peltonman
peltonman

Re: PTO/WINCHES Chevy G506 4 speed 235 6cyl.

Postby retro-roco » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:29 pm

Chevy did not make a 2-1/2 ton 6x6 during WWII. The truck you're probably referrring to was made by GMC. The front mounted winch on the cargo versions of both trucks are the same, but the transmissions and PTO's are different. The Chevy had a four speed, and the GMC had a five speed. Where abouts are you located??
retro-roco
Motor Sergeant

Postby peltonman » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:56 am

I am located near Eureka California . I have a1942 Chevy 1 1/2 ton G506 and also a GMC 1 1/2 ton similar vintage . The Chevy runs and is in much better condition. I have been made aware of Chevy not making a 6x6, my trying to locate a dual shaft output PTO for my G506 led me to a seller of a PTO that seemed to be listed as such. I am still trying to find a PTO and all the information for a dual shaft output forward ,reverse, high,low, PTO to fit my G506. Who made PTO? Gar Wood ? Do all cargo models use Gar Wood 12000 lb. winch ? Any information will be appreciated . peltonman
peltonman

Postby retro-roco » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:52 am

All G506 cargo and dump models with winch (models YL, YM, ZL, ZM, NL and NM) used 10,000 lb. winches made by Garwood or Heil. The actual PTO's were made by Garwood or Spicer. Is your truck a cargo model with winch or a dump model with winch?? You asked about a dual output PTO, so I'm assuming you must have a dump model... The cargo model with winch didn't need a dual output PTO. You might check with Richard Privat from Geyserville CA. He's about three hours south of you, but he seems to have access to lots of parts for these trucks. :wink:
retro-roco
Motor Sergeant

Postby peltonman » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:44 am

Thanks for the information, I have sent an email to richard privat in Geyserville Ca. I have not received an answer yet . I sent it shortly before I posted here. I saw listings he had for parts on vehicles of victory ,I also have his phone number from the same listing, I will give him a call . The G506 I have is a cargo model, it never had a dump bed or winch.I have a dump bed to put on it. I will need to use one of the PTO shafts to drive the hydraulic pump, and the other shaft to drive winch, unless I use hydraulic motor on winch. I am also in need of tires and have looked at several posts here on wheels and 9.00x20.00 tires and wheels ,the need for spacers ,etc. all great information, I would like to keep the gear ratio low ,and the center of gravity. Stock size tires , unless somebody has information to encourage me another way to go.It seems 7.50x20.00 tires are not as easy to come by as the 9.00x20.00tires. Getting better wheels would be a real consideration for going with 9.00x20.00tires already mounted on newer rims . Is there a good source in northern Ca. for military wheels and tires from take offs(newer trucks).? Thanks for the help and information, it is great to be able to hook up to experienced people. peltonman
peltonman

Return to PTO/Winches