Ike's Convoy and New Oxford Sept. 21, 2013

Take your MV to a living history event or to a tactical.... list when and where. Be specific and include a website or contact information.

Ike's Convoy and New Oxford Sept. 21, 2013

Postby pfarber » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:28 pm

HEADQUARTERS
FOURTH INFANTRY DIVISION
APO 4, United States Army

Office of Tactics and Operations

June 30, 1944

Memorandum: 7-01.13

Subject: Update on Liberating France: Final Freedom point – Nouveau Oxford
Target Date: 21 September

To all past and potential participants:

Ike's Farm Convoy and Liberation of New Oxford is Saturday September 21st. This year, weather permitting, we hope to have a correctly marked C-47 and a 1944 L-5 fly over the convoy and New Oxford. The owner of the C-47 even asked to drop paratroopers but due to FAA regs and lack of time, we were unable to secure permission......this year .

Keep in mind that next year will be the 70th anniversary of the actual operation we recreate. We even thought about switching the event next year to Operation Market-Garden but we feel having a convoy of mostly infantry GIs liberating a Dutch town strains our authenticity credibility. What do you think?

More details such as assigned combat platoons/companies and other info to be advised.

1) Registration Details: Riders Fee $10
a) The registration form is posted in the Reenactors section of the the website: www.liberationofnewoxford.com
b) Registration forms can also be emailed to you. Send a and email with “Registration Request for New Oxford” in the subject line and let us know where to email it.
c) All Drivers and Riders, please sign and mail it in or sign, scan and email since we need signatures and the Riders fee.
d) Registration Waivers:
i) If you are 200 miles or more 1-way from New Oxford or Gettysburg, the Riders Fee is waived. The registration form has a line to note this. In order to compensate, we have reduced a few costs (see cost projection below.) NOTE: There is still no fee for vehicle owners and everyone will get some non-alcoholic wine or champagne poured into their canteen cups in New Oxford. Feel free to take an empty bottle for your display as they will have WWII period labels.
ii) Riders performing MP Duties for 2 hours at the Ammo Drop on Friday, the Riders Fee is waived
e) Payments
i) Riders can pay with paypal, cash, check or money order to me (Arthur Buker).
ii) Paypal detail can be found in Section – 9b

2) Registration for Ike’s Farm: Unit Commanders or individuals and small groups
a) Email needs to be sent to Rick Lemmers at: Richard_Lemmers@nps.gov
b) Include your name, unit, vehicle (if any), and camp size. (for Unit Commanders)

3) Distribution of Funds:
a) Stipend: This year the vehicle stipend for vehicle owners will be the same
i) Motorcycles $5
ii) Jeeps $10
iii) WC $20
iv) Armor $30
v) CCKW $30
b) Payouts
i) Will be by cash on Saturday at Ike's after the return
ii) You must send in a signed reg. form if you want to get the payout
iii) The riders fee will not cover all expenses but without it, there wouldn't be an event.
iv) Please also note the Germans pay $10 as well. So it's really important all riders pay or do some work as noted below in Section – 4a.

4) National Parks Relations
a) Registration (Sign-in) Location for Convoy
i) The Convoy sign-in tent will be right next to the Eisenhower Farm registration tent.
ii) We'd like to have our tent manned by 2 GI's per hour from 10am Friday to 11:59pm Friday, or 14 hours
(1) If the soldier is a rider, he/she can work for 2 hours and ride for free.
(2) Vehicle Owners will get paid $5 per hour.
b) Ammo
i) Since the battle is open to everyone, the Park has legitimate concerns about blank ammo coming onto their property which is VERBOTEN.
ii) All ammo will be dropped off at the registration area trailer.
iii) Please pre-bag and mark your ammo with your name and the HIGHLIGHTED UNIT on the bag and we'll store it by unit for faster distribution
iv) On Saturday morning, the convoy will begin at the Bowling Alley about 1 mile south of Eisenhower Farm on Business 15. Ammo trailer will be at the Bowling Alley by 0630. We will distribute ammo there.
v) We'll also have a check-in list so that no ammo gets misplaced
vi) NOTE: We will have an ambush before we get to New Oxford, so please keep in mind to only bring what you think you can shoot in a 30-40 minute battle, including the ambush
vii) We can't have ammo brought back to the park please.
(1) If we have to, we will collect left over ammo in New Oxford and it will be dropped of at the Marinos Museum in the white frame building before we return to Ike's.
(2) This will be done by a single designated vehicle, not the entire convoy.
(3) Spiros has advised his Museum will be open until 5pm Saturday and Sunday.
c) Campsite requirements/request
i) Ike’s Farm
(1) Last year: some of us left our campsites at Ike's empty with no GI interpreters
(2) This year: We are asking for volunteers from each unit to stay behind with these recommendations:
(a) If your campsite is the size/width of 1 small wall tent, then 1 GI -
(b) if 2 wall tents, then 2 GIs and so forth, etc.
(3) Reason: In order to continue the Convoy and New Oxford event. This is critical for our participation to continue working with the Park. And yes, we sincerely want to continue working with the Park
ii) New Oxford – NO ALLIED CAMPING ALLOWED:
(1) In order to continue this year at Ike's, we (as in YOUR EVENT COORDINATORS [4th ID HQ and the town of New Oxford]) had to agree to not allow Allied camping in New Oxford. All Allied units are to camp at Ike's Farm and leave behind the requisite number of troops. No exceptions.
(2) If you have a problem with this requirement, PLEASE call me or Neal to discuss.

5) Convoy Requirements
a) Everyone must be "Combat Ready" during the round-trip event.
b) Original or period correct repro Allied uniforms and gear to be worn at all times. (This is in conjunction with a National Park Service event).
c) You do not have to take part in the battle or ambush.
d) All Vehicles - that means windshields down and covers on.
e) Able-bodied participants need to provide flank security when we stop.
f) Modern cameras are welcome during the convoy. (please post your pictures on the web with access to all).

6) Timeline: To be expanded in future updates
a) Registration at Ike’s begins Friday at 1000 hour.
b) Convoy participant’s registration will begin Friday at 1000 and run until 2359 hour.
c) New Oxford USO Dance takes place in New Oxford at 1930 hour. (Info is on the website. They sold out their tickets last year. Get them early).
d) Ammo Trailer moved to Bowling Alley (Convoy Staging Area) at 0630 on Saturday
e) Form up to be completed at 0700 and briefings begin (Platoon Commanders use the time wisely)
f) Jump off at 0730
g) Ambush en-route – Timing is flexible
h) Arrive at Battlefield Staging Area and form up platoons (Platoon Commanders will have 15 minutes to brief and jump off)
i) Battle ends approx 0955 and ceremonies begin
j) Convoy heads back to Command Post at 1100

7) Assignments –
a) Allied
i) Major General: WWII Fighter Pilot Veteran, General Bob Shawn – Operations Commander
(1) Allied units must show him due respect.
(2) He is not only a WWII Veteran, but held the temporary Rank of General in the US Army.
ii) Major: A. Robert “Bob” Buker, 4th Infantry Division HQ – Battlefield and Convoy Commander
iii) Captain: Neal Pizzano, 4th Infantry Division HQ, S-3 – Battlefield Commander, SIC
iv) Provost Marshall: Supplied by the 4th Infantry Military Police Platoon – Provost to be named
v) Traffic Detail: Supplied by 701st Ordanance – Traffic Commander to be named
vi) 1st Platoon – Captain Guy Mazzarella, 26th Infantry Division (Yankee Division)
vii) 2nd Platoon – Captain Terry Hunter, 1st Canadian Paratroop Battalion
(1) French Units report to 2nd Platoon
(2) Welsh Units report to 2nd Platoon
viii) 3rd Platoon – 1st Lt Michael Cassidy, 5th Ranger Division
ix) 4th Platoon – Major Joe Soltis, All Airborne
x) Cannon Company – Sgt Carl Cessna, 28th Infantry Division
xi) Fire Control – Sgt Brian Cessna, 28th Infantry Division
xii) Medical Detachment – TBA (This includes Nureses)
xiii) ALL Participants will be assigned to a Platoon. Please indicate which unit or division you represent or wish to represent so that we may assign you appropriately.
b) Assignments – Axis
i) All members of German and Italian troops must contact Hauptmann Egon Spengler (Jud Spangler at jspangler@mtb.com )
c) Assignments – French Citizens
i) All persons wishing to participate as a French Citizens, please contact Monsieur Cody Fulton at fultoca06@gmail.com in order to receive official papers and discuss roles

8) Command
a) Operations Commander, Maj Gen Shawn, will be in convoy with his Command Car. He is
not the battlefield commander.
b) Convoy logistics need to be directed to Maj. Buker.
c) Battle Briefings will be provided to Platoon Leaders Friday Night by S-3, Capt. Pizzano– Time TBA
d) Platoon Leaders will brief their platoons Friday night at their discretion and again, Saturday Morning before the Convoy Jumps Off.
e) Platoons and Squads will have 15 minutes to prepare for battle once we reach the Battlefield Staging Area

9) Communication
a) Email response with registration should include the following items
i) If you are willing and able to work the gate with your available times (Friday September 14th from 10 am to 12am)
ii) Email me if you are able to guard and the time(s) you are available.
iii) Remember separate email must go to Rick Lemmers for individuals and UNIT Commanders
b) PAYPAL INFO for the Rider Fee:
1. Click on "Send Money"
2. Type in arbuker@verizon.net
3. Type in the amount
4. Click on the "Personal" tab
5. Click on the "Other" button
6. In the subject line, type in "Farm" and in optional message, enter your Name, City & State and if Axis or Allied, and Unit
7. Click Send Money

Make checks payable to Arthur Buker

My address is
Arthur Buker
Ike's Convoy
2319 Old Frederick Road
Catonsville MD 21228

Email
arbuker@verizon.net

c) Neal’s Contacts:
i) Phone: 443-838-5139
ii) Email: pizzanos@yahoo.com

10) We received great ideas from last year some of which are addressed here:
a) IDEA: Having the Convoy on Friday or Sunday.
RESULT: New Oxford said no.
b) IDEA: Having the Convoy on Saturday afternoon. This is ideal since we will be in camp for the morning rush. The plan was to leave Ike's at 1230.
RESULT: Our request to PA DOT to close Rt. 30 from 1pm to 5pm was denied. At this time they will only approve closing the road in the morning. However, they will review next year since the traffic studies are somewhat dated.
c) IDEA: Take most direct route back to Ike's Farm after the Liberation so that their visitors can see what is advertised. Last year was a fluke since Rt 116 was closed due to construction to get ready for the 150th of Gettysburg.
RESULT: This year, we will go straight to Rt 116, through Gettysburg and direct to Ike's. No stopping at the PX and no Devil's Den. The plan is to leave New Oxford by 1100. At 1045, we'll start getting ready to go.
d) IDEA: More time at the Battle Staging Area - Last year there was no time for any prep at the Battle Staging Area (BSA).
RESULT: This year we'll have about 15 minutes for pre-combat checks.
e) IDEA: How about a large street map at Friday's briefing instead of an aerial photo?
RESULT: Done
f) IDEA: How about a safety briefing at the Convoy Staging Area (CSA) as well?
RESULT: The briefing Friday night and Saturday morning will emphasize blanks fired in close proximity to any part of the body, Limit the smoke grenades, no shooting around corners, and please pick-up your unfired blanks if clearing a jam or ejecting an unfired round
i) IDEA: Weapons safety –
RESULT: See f above and remember to clear your weapons after the New Oxford battle. We will also introduce the idea of Unit Safety Officers. This will be addressed with Platoon Leaders in an upcoming memo.
ii) IDEA: Motorcycle safety -
RESULT: When driving your vehicle, stay to the right. Do not wander over to the center line. Pay attention to your rear-view mirror. The motorcycles are driving up to the head of the convoy just to your left.
g) IDEA: Authenticity - We've had concerns about women and troops seemingly younger than 18 participating in the battle.
RESULT: Accompanying the troops is fine but please, if you are under 18 years of age, or a female, you must refrain from picking up a weapon and firing to maintain authenticity.
11) Ammo Policy for New Oxford
a) All Blank Ammo brought to the event will need to be in metal Boxes or a closed container.
i) Units might want to furnish them, no loose rounds in your gear bags or boxes, no preloaded mags.
ii) SUGGESTION: when you get back home keep them in that box that way they wont get mixed in with real rounds, This is very simple for people to do and if ammo is in an ammo box, it’s a better legal way to transport it that way the Police or an Aware citizens will not have cause for alarm seeing hundreds of rounds in a trunk of a car, remember some of these rounds look real. I know most people who have a Right To Carry Lic will have the real rounds in the car, and again this will help real rounds from being mixed in with the Blanks.
iii) *There will be exemptions for ammo belts.
b) All units will have a Designated “Safety Officer” or designee, who will inspect their units respective Blank ammo Friday night and or Saturday Morning prior to the battle scenario. For late attendee's, have the Safety Officer from that respective unit they fight with, check the attendee’s ammo.
i) Suggest each unit’s Safety Officer check ammo ASAP upon arrival.
ii) Suggest to double-check new re-enactors if it is their first event
iii) A Safety Officers Meeting will be required to review Field Safety. Field safety meeting will include noting:
(1) No more body shots or in your face pointing with guns . This might also decrease the number of facial injuries due to powder burns and or injury from wood tipped blanks or bad crimps .Tell your soldiers to aim to the side of people or over or under.
(2) * Bfongs are exempted and sub guns and machine guns, and tanks and planes but its a rule of thumb for one on one ground fighting.
c) After the officers meeting, prior to deployment for the tactical, All Designated Ammo Officers from The Units will concur with each other that in “Fact” they have checked their Units respective Blank Ammo.
d) Staging Area MPs need to make sure all registration cards have been stamped as “Inspected”
before leaving the Convoy Staging Area and All Safety Officers have met and concurred with each other that they have inspected their units ammo prior to that unit leaving the Battlefield Staging Area.

12) Preview – Thursday, August 16 at 1900.
One last thing, for now, part of the command group will be in New Oxford on Thursday August 16th at 7pm for the New Oxford Area Historical Association open meeting about the Battle, Liberation and Celebration. (http://www.liberationofnewoxford.com/ev ... edule.html) Major Bob Buker and Captain Neal Pizzano will represent the Allies, Captain Jud Spangler, the Axis and Monsier Cody Fulton, the French Civilians. There will be a nice PowerPoint presentation and snacks. Platoon Leaders are encouraged to attend, but not required. All others, feel free to stop by if you're in the area.

13) RSVP – Please RSVP whether you plan to attend or cannot make it this year.

14) Cost Projections

2013 Projected Costs
Total Number of Paid Axis 75
Total Number of Paid Allies 61

TOTAL INCOME $1,360.00
TOTAL EXPENSES $1,384.04
plus or minus ($24.04)

Expense Breakdown Projected
Tom Knaper (Gettysburg Permit) $30.00
Eire Insurance $315.00
NOAHS donation $150.00
Eisenhower Farm Donation $150.00
Guard Payout $50.00
n-a Champagne/Wine (12 Bottles) $89.04
Vehicle Payout $600.00
Bob, Neal, Rich EXPENSES $0.00
TOTAL $1,384.04

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please respond and you'll be taken off the list.

Thanks again and see you September!

CC: Captain Neal Pizzano, 4th ID HQ, S-3

Bob Buker
Major Bob Buker
4th Infantry Division
Headquarters
Operations Commander
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014