GAP 2009... F+

Take your MV to a living history event or to a tactical.... list when and where. Be specific and include a website or contact information.

GAP 2009... F+

Postby pfarber » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:50 pm

Wow. I know the GAP somehow remains the top WWII reenactment of the year... but 2009 was a stinker. WWII Weekend at the Reading Air Show is QUICKLY gaining in popularity.... if they would only have a tactical :)

First, the Friday tactical... oops Field Problem, was canceled. You didn't know that unless you actually went there and was told at registration that nothing is going on. They have a web site, but it was not updated... so folks with 1-20+ hour drives got nothing to show for it.

ICE was the main issue. The 'Federation' was so concerned for our safety that they canceled the event for Friday. BUT, the parking lot was a sheet of ice. I and at least 3 other people got stuck in the icy ruts or slipped walking. So you can slip and crack your skull in the parking lot, or between buildings, heck even the walkway to the registration building was a sheet of ice with people falling.... but not during play time. The parking lot was about 500 yards away and they did have a cart pulled by a tractor... that was nice, but you had to make it to the tractor... many did so after a tumble. Nothing was done to the ice... no cinders, sand, heck even a good 30 minutes with an ice pick would have done wonders.

The same vendors were there. They seemed to be dealing at bit. I went to 2 buildings and left. Same crap, different day. Prices were good, but after a long friday of doing nothing the thoughts of spending money did not make it any better.

I did not go back for Saturday. The 'Federation' said the main area was still closed (ICE) so they were gonna have public battles (that generally suck) and a tactical in a firebreak area that was gonna suck, but we would have to walk to. No thanks. Simply busting caps is not fun.

The unit I was with 2nd Squad 2nd Platoon K Co 28th ID was nice. I didn't have a bunk marked (in the 4 years I have gone with different units I have yet to get my $60 worth of bunk) nor a locker. I didn't complain because I knew that I would be there Friday only. They had some basic training, some outdoor exercises then Supper. I left at 1700. I'm not sure if I like small or large reenacting groups... I do know that I hate the GAP... and the people that run it have yet to put on a decent show.

One guy from the G503 web site recognized my name (not sure if that is good or bad). I forgot his name (sorry dude) but he DROVE his jeep from Doyelstown, PA in the cold.. not on a trailer.. but actually drove. Hats off to you my brother... I drove my jeep to 209 (309?.. about 5 miles from my house) and turned back. To cold, and it would have been an hours drive. Plus I had to drive it back on Sunday when it would have been even colder. So I chickened out.

There were lots of jeeps, a few Dodges.. kubels and motorcycles (most likely those Chinese made BMW clones... I doubt that that many original BMWs made it to the states after the war). The hype over armor was again hype. I see no reason (other than the GAP saying so) to keep tracked vehicles (almost always half tracks) parked way out yonder. OK, a 20 ton tank.. that needs improved roads. But less then 10 tons should be allowed on Woodland Ave.

I am done with the GAP. Poor communication, poor planing (esp facilities) and way overpriced. I can see no other reason to go except for shopping... and even that's getting old... maybe if they gave away some spots to vehicles parts vendors (there are at least 3 in PA/NY/NJ) if not then I know they will be at Aberdeen, Jim Thorpe/Red Ball.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Re: GAP 2009... F+

Postby WWII TRUCK » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:19 pm

Am positive that the show was a pleaser, nothing is perfect, just go there to enjoy it.
WWII TRUCK

Return to Living History/Tactical events