Steering wheels.

Topics relating to the chassis, cab, body, or cargo/dump bed.

Steering wheels.

Postby pfarber » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:08 pm

There was a little debate a while ago about the 'correct' steering wheel for the CCKW. Some posted that the 4 spoke metal hub with a wood rim was the only correct wheel for the CCKW, and that 3 spoke bakelite (ir whatever material it is) is not, it would be a wheel from a Canadian CMP or a Chevy.

Well, after seeing quite a few late war trucks with both type, I dug in the manuals.

TM9-1801 page 260 fig 145 show removal of a 4 spoke'r. Less than 10 pages later, page 270, fig 154 show a 3 spoke'r. The TM was dated 03/44.
Attachments
4spoke.gif
Heres what many consider the 'Correct' steering wheel.
4spoke.gif (25.25 KiB) Viewed 12271 times
3spoke.jpg
Its in the TM.... 3 spokes.
3spoke.jpg (11.16 KiB) Viewed 12271 times
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby Ledog » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:17 am

Early jimmy's were issued with the three spokes bakelite wheel. This is correct for GMC from 41 to 42.

Since 42, first with closed cabs then with open cabs, steering wheels were imade out of wood. There were three models of wood wheels.

I invite you to visit this page, made by a french friend of mine to present the different types of steering wheels. The two last picture depicts post war wheels that can be found on you next jimmy.

http://thierry.becker.free.fr/VolantsGMC.htm

Notice the difference between the US and french bakelite wheel. On the US model, the spokes are making three identical triangles.
Ledog

Postby pfarber » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:24 pm

The 3 spokers are turning up way to much to be only a 2 model year deal.

I have seen at least 4 CCKWs (2 cargo and 2 tipper, all open cab, all 43 or later) that have the 3 spoke wheel and the horn button and steering column *look* way to original to have been worked on to get one to fit.

I don't have my SNLs handy, but I would guess that the 3 spoke were to be replacement parts, used until exhausted. Making them correct. Not factory original, but correct.
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby Ledog » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:23 am

They've probably been used until stock exhausted at the factory too. But normally, wooden wheels appeared with the closed cab, before they switch to the open cab production.

While reconstructing a truck, either on the field or by a foreign army postwar, they may have changed the wheels or the cab. You can change the cab without changing the wheel.
Ledog

Postby pfarber » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:31 pm

I was not being specific as to manufacture.. just that either 3 or 4 spoke wheel is correct.

It may have not come from the factory that way, but in the Ordnance Departments eyes they are the same.
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

$400.00 Steering Wheels

Postby WWII TRUCK » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:38 am

Apparantly that is what good originals average and they don't show up. I thought I would like to at least start off with a nice steering wheel and radiator cap and restore a nice truck under them.
WWII TRUCK

Postby pfarber » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:53 pm

IIRC the correct diameter for the 3 spoke is like 20 inches? There was a post a while back on another forum about CMP wheels being used allot.

I have a 2 and 3 spoke for my 43.... not sure which one to go with.

Any more detailed info on the steering wheels?
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby WWII TRUCK » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:17 am

I would use the 2 spoke, U can see better out the windshield with a 2 spoke and U can also see all the gages without having to wiggle all over the road.
WWII TRUCK

Postby pfarber » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:59 pm

Man, thats two typos.. glad your keen intellect was able to read past... oh wait. Never mind.
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby WWII TRUCK » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:13 pm

Who need comic strips? This is relaxing. :)
WWII TRUCK

Re: Steering wheels.

Postby WWII TRUCK » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:19 am

The Dodge website and CCKW.org has difinitive information on CCKW Steering wheel, easy to follow.
WWII TRUCK

Re: Steering wheels.

Postby pfarber » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:20 pm

No, its not. Your own posts under 'RANGER' say three different things.

We agree that all WOODEN steering wheels are painted OD from the factory (but you truck has a natural wood wheel, so much for living and dying from by the TMs).

We disagree, and you have given no proof that the early hard rubber steering wheels are painted OD from the factory.

Please provide some sort of evidence that hard rubber steering wheels were painted OD.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Chassis/Body/Cargo Bed