Hydrovac Decals... it begins

Topics about paint colors, what was painted where, application of unit markings, component labels or decals. Also data plates and serial numbers/registration numbers.

Hydrovac Decals... it begins

Postby pfarber » Tue May 20, 2014 12:28 pm

Well its finally warm enough to open windows and start back up with solvent based ink. The first decal for the year (well, second, oil pan decal reprint is first) the CCKW hydrovac decal.

So, what does it say and what does it look like and where do you mount it? Well, as always the order of Provenance is period dated photos from a known source, NOS parts, photos from take off parts, my usual wild ass guesses.

First, a big hug for my best buddy David Doyle. Page 177 of The GMC CCKW Truck in U.S. Service shows what can only be called CCKW cannon. A dated, sourced original production photo of the decal on a CCKW. This one photo is the most significant photo in the entire book. But if you read the authors caption its never mentioned.... that's ok.. one mans boring factory photo is another mans holy grail of CCKW proof.

Without further delay:

vacclose.gif
vacclose.gif (32.28 KiB) Viewed 6907 times

This puts the two vac decals on the BOTTOM of the vac toward the front (control valve end). If looking at the front (grill) of a CCKW the decals would be approximately the 5 o'clock position. This is different from other manuals. I have collected *lots* of CCKW vac decal photos from other trucks/vacs and there does not really seem to be a standard position. Most are at the 'front' of the vac, but it varies. I have photos of decals in the 9 o'clock and 11 o'clock position. So while the single factory photo we have shows it 'on the bottom' putting the decal's at the 3 or 9 o'clock position (so they are visible from above and protected) is a viable location.

Another issue is that of the photos I have (NOS parts and photos of take off parts) the decals, while mounted in the 3 or 9 o'clock position are UPSIDE DOWN! When looking at those photos, using the bleeder valves on the piston rod casting, the bleeder valves are 'on the bottom' (meaning the vac is upside down) yet the decals are readable! So they are mounted in the same locations, just upside down. But the provenance of the photos is far from what I would call cannon (ie original dated factory photo vs photo of take off part).

Since the decal is pointed towards the ground, this would explain why there are so few decals left on vac's. The dirt roads of the time would sandblast the decal off, and the oil/grease from the transfer case would also speed the decals demise.

Compare this photo to the 1943 Bendix Form No 9-227 shows the decal here:
civyvac.JPG
civyvac.JPG (24.11 KiB) Viewed 6907 times

This is more like the 3 o'clock position. Oddly enough, this is at the 'rear' of the vac can. Most photos show when the decal is applied to dual piston vac, it's mainly on the front can (the one with the control valve mounted on it.

Here's a later Chevy vac (SNL-G-506 June 45) page 28 front of vac, right side (more of the 2-3 o'clock position)
chevyvac.JPG
chevyvac.JPG (64.41 KiB) Viewed 6907 times

Here's quick graphic of where I can place the decals using only factory books or photos. As I mentioned above I do have several photos of take off parts that show the decals at 9 o'clock and even inverted.
vacloc.gif
vacloc.gif (8.46 KiB) Viewed 6907 times

So we know where the decals should be, but what do they say? Well, one clearly says HYDROVAC (thanks Chevvy :roll: ). Well, there are two decals, both are generic bendix decals!

HYDROVAC
Manufactured by
BENDIX PRODUCTS DIVISION
BENDIX AVIATION CORP.
SOUTH BEND, IND. U.S.A.

BENDIX PRODUCTS DIV.
OF BENDIX AVIATION CORPORATION
SOUTH BEND, IND. MADE IN U.S.A.
FULLY PROTECTED BY PATENTS
AND PATENT APPLICATIONS
THROUGHOUT THE WORLD.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy