Decals - Oil filter, oil breather, valve cover

Topics about paint colors, what was painted where, application of unit markings, component labels or decals. Also data plates and serial numbers/registration numbers.

Decals - Oil filter, oil breather, valve cover

Postby pfarber » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:21 am

Here they are.. these are the only pictures of these decals in any of the TMs (that are legible).

First off, the oil breather and oil filter. You can clearly see the oil filter body decal, but not the lid decal. Note these differ SIGNIFICANTLY from the civilian decals sold by restoration shops. The MAIN difference is that the 'military versions' are more verbose in their directions and include part numbers.

scaled_d-4.jpg

Next two are the oil filter body decal. The pictures are a goofy color because when using the MACRO lens the camera will not flash... and I don't have a professional (or any) lights other than overhead room lights.

scaled_rotated_body_1.jpg

scaled_rotated_body_2.jpg

Next two are the valve cover decals.

scaled_d-6.jpg

scaled_d-3.jpg

You can sort of make out the text in the TM... but only if you have an original copy. Most CD versions are not gray scale so you lose the suitableness of the letters on the gray background.

And now the second most rare decal on the engine (the first being the one on the oil pan) is the oil filter lid:

scaled_lid.jpg

You can make out some of the text.

The first two lines appear to say:

If oil appears
black on dipstick remove

Here is the most hard to find decal.. evidently the deep sump oil pans had *something* on them. In this picture you can clearly see the engine spec tag, and below that the decal in question:

The deep oil sump oil pan started at ENGINE SN 270-266551 NOTE THIS IS NOT A FRAME NUMBER. The GM Tech Bulletin G-61 was issued in DEC-43 and its a doozy to install. Since the production trucks would have gotten this long before field kits were issued, I can only assume that mid 43 wold be a good starting production time frame.

scaled_oil_pan.jpg

That's all there is. A block where it looks like a decal should go :(

I have put out some emails to people asking about the decals... let hope a kind sole will snap a picture and maybe we can get a correct decal set for our engines.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Paint, Unit Markings, Decals and Labels