CCKW Oil Filter decals Early/Late/Civilian

Topics about paint colors, what was painted where, application of unit markings, component labels or decals. Also data plates and serial numbers/registration numbers.

Re: CCKW Oil Filter decals Early/Late/Civilian

Postby pfarber » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:25 pm

Update... all the decals EXCEPT the air filter and 'early' round oil filter decal are done.

The decal shop sent me some questions regarding the colors, and gave me a initial quote. The 'early' filter decal may not happen. The deep sump oil pan decals take up A LOT of real estate. They are sending back a layout to let me see what I have left.

The decision is:

I have little to go on for an air filter decal. The air filter decal was pretty much standard through the production run. But anything I put together would be 70% accurate.

The early round oil filter decal is easy to figure out, but would only apply to a smaller subset of vehicles (well, anyone could put it on, but its only correct for up till about mid-42).

I am leaning towards going with the air filter decal as it covers more vehicles, and would be more 'prominent' when looking into an engine bay.

Anyone have any feedback... you can PM me it you like.. I know a lot of folks don't like to be seen posting on this site.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby retro-roco » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:44 am

Paul,

I looked in what few CCKW manuals I have (most are Chevy, not GMC) and the only pictures I could find are like you say really sketchy. The most promising one I found was actually a line art illustration of the air cleaner parts. Even though it is line art and not a photo or photo illustration, the illustrator took the time to illustrate the decal size and shape. The line art doesn't lend itself to showing the actual text, but the AC logos at the top of the decal are clearly visible, and look just like these:

http://www.classicpartsusa.com/category ... rts_Decals

or http://www.55classicchevy.com/1955-chev ... aners.html

I am inclined to tink it is probably the first one, which is already available through Classicparts USA for only $1.89 If you have room for something else, like the early round decal, or even a second deep sump decal, it seems like a waste to reproduce a decal that sems to already be available. Of course I have to admit that I haven't contacted them to see if it is a water slide, or a self adhesive vinyl decal....

(Paul, I just figured out that the picture you show in your air cleaner decal thread has exactly the same file name as the one I posted above. I'm guessing you've already contacted them??)
retro-roco
Motor Sergeant

Postby pfarber » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:48 pm

The red/white decal is the same one I found.

The early TM10-1562 (from 42) does have some cleaning instructions that closely match it. But the only pics of the decal are only good enough to figure out the layout.. which it does match pretty closely.

I guess since that there already is an air cleaner decal that is close enough (no one I have contacted has had/seen an air cleaner decal, and none of the TMs even show a decal on the late air cleaner... only the early) it may be 'smarter' to get the early round decal made since there are none of those available.
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby retro-roco » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:22 pm

Paul,

I came across these photos that I saved back in 2003. The parts "appear" to be NOS??

NOS Oil filter decals

NOS Air filter decals:

Interesting that the decal design is like the top (white) one, but the colors are definitely more like the bottom (red/blue) one...

The Oil filter housing I don't know for sure that it is CCKW or G506, or possibly some other vehicle. The air filter housing is identical in shape and design to the ones I've seen on Chevy G506 trucks including mine.
Last edited by retro-roco on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retro-roco
Motor Sergeant

Postby pfarber » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:51 pm

THANK YOU FOR THE PICS!!!!

After looking up part numbers and rereading way to much about oil filters I can say that its not a CCKW oil filter.

From the GM factory oil filters were gray with decals and had the outlet 90deg from the inlet. Supply/replacement oil filters would be black and only have the lid filter, no AC decal on the filter.

I looked in my 1947 ORD-8-G-508 (supply allowances) and none of the numbers on the filter cross referenced. So even in 1947 the filter/element numbers do no match anything in a CCKW book.

The biggest tell is the working on the lid. It specifies a new gasket pn G-235 'Cover Gasket' The CCKW gasket stock number is G085-3002400 (this is not a GM part number, just a generic supply code).

That filter brings up so many questions. S-2 is the AC Delco designation for the filter, and while the original S-1s were made in 40/41. The S-2 as a Chevy part (given a part number in chevy parts books) first appeared in 1946/7. Why use an AC part number? Senior Elements were military terms, not civvy. A P-117 was used in Civvy S-2 filters.

Here's a good breakdown of the GM oil filters of the 30-70's. Concentrate on the 1946-1948 S-2 paragraphs.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/engin ... index.html

I think the red air filter decal is as good as its gonna get unless I see a factory GM air cleaner right out of the box that says otherwise.
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby halifaxgroup » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:30 am

Found this during a search for oil filter decals. What is the status? Are the two decals/stickers available for purchase?
halifaxgroup

Postby retro-roco » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:53 pm

Yup. Just go to www.tm9-801.com (ie drop the "/forums"). Paul has a shopping cart set up where you can order them.
retro-roco
Motor Sergeant

Postby pfarber » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:54 pm

Yes.

The early round and late oval body decals as well as the lid decals are available at:

http://www.tm9-801.com/quartermaster/index.html
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Previous

Return to Paint, Unit Markings, Decals and Labels