Air Cleaner Decal

Topics about paint colors, what was painted where, application of unit markings, component labels or decals. Also data plates and serial numbers/registration numbers.

Air Cleaner Decal

Postby pfarber » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:59 am

The air cleaner decal on the CCKW is a bit of an enigma. The TMs show only fleeting glimpses of it in two panels, none are color, and none show the text.

But if you look into TM10-1563 (both the Aug.. its either Aug or Sept, not at home right now.. and Nov 42) as well as the first TM9-801 (the 43 version) the decal is shown with enough clarity to get an idea of what it looks like.

I have found what I believe is the decal, although the colors are different (I believe the decal should be orange, black and white, similar to the oil breather decal)

DE202_P1_Main.jpg

The graphics are the same, the block of black at the top and bottom, and the text in the blocks appears to be whats in the TMs. The text of the labels in the TMs is illegible, but the number of lines, and the formatting (the last line only going half way across) leads me to think this is a match. Also, if you read the Tm10-1563, it DOES mention cleaning with kerosene (the TM9-801 does not).

If you note the mileage number '5000' is not proportional to the other text, the font and alignment is different. I believe that this is a 'drop in' that allows the decal to have whatever mileage is required, 1000, 2000, 5000 miles. Since air cleaners where dealer installed or optional factory items, it would make sense to have one decal with this slight change rather than have decals for every engine/vehicle at the dealer in a drawer.

So with a little art reworking I think this is the decal that should go on the 42-45 GMC CCKW air cleaner.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Paint, Unit Markings, Decals and Labels