RESTOPATION?

Topics about paint colors, what was painted where, application of unit markings, component labels or decals. Also data plates and serial numbers/registration numbers.

RESTOPATION?

Postby WWII TRUCK » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:13 am

From what I have seen most owners are not really restoring, but just painting, applying decals and hanging field gear. When it comes to fixing, they are lost and can't understand how to repair them. I found some retired National Guard mechanics with 1950 era experience to watch over my shoulder, some are Korean War vets and they remember how to fix a CCKW.
WWII TRUCK

Postby pfarber » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:10 am

I live next door to a Korean War vet who drove CCKWs then M211's. Sadly, as he put it " I just drove them.. never knew what made them tick'.

Unit markings on most 'restored' trucks are stencils... I plan on putting the 'soldiers touch' to my hand painted markings. Actually I girl I work with will be doing the honors.

Not every sojer had a stencil kit.
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby WWII TRUCK » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:47 am

But what happens when a worn out truck is painted up and dressed up GI gear? It is not going to go anywhere, I guess the proud owner can just sit in it and make truck noises, with a double clutch or two added in. I served with Spike Moffatt, he used to talk his M-211 through the gears, "Aw come on Baby, now give me second."

Every unit had a stencil kit, and the users were expected to clean them after use.
WWII TRUCK

Postby WWII TRUCK » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:23 am

I am going to do my long wheelbase CCKW up as an anti aircraft unit, I just got some 40mm dummy ammo like we used to fire from the twin 40AA guns.
WWII TRUCK

Postby Nick Bombini » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:37 pm

WWII TRUCK wrote:I am going to do my long wheelbase CCKW up as an anti aircraft unit, I just got some 40mm dummy ammo like we used to fire from the twin 40AA guns.

I'll have to send you a picture early on in the summer of a 40mm bofors that a local WWII airfield is fixing up. Hopefully I can hook it up to my truck for some pics. I'll send them to you if I can.

--Nick
Nick Bombini

Return to Paint, Unit Markings, Decals and Labels