Knuckle lube... the war rages on!

News, events, issues/items of the day. Does not need to be MV specific.

Knuckle lube... the war rages on!

Postby pfarber » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:05 pm

So I read this long, drawn out discussion in a 'knowledgeable' 4wd Mechanics Magazine. Back and forth trying figure out how many angles fit on the head of a pin.

Then at the end, both swing and miss... IN A BIG WAY:

http://www.4wdmechanix.com/Jeep-4WD-Clo ... cants.html

"7) The steering knuckle and axle joint lube must be fluid enough to enfold back into the joint and flow in general. It is unacceptable for grease to sling outward and cling to the housing wall without migrating back to the axle shaft joint (your point as well). Grease must also reach and replenish the knuckle kingpin/trunnion bearings."

Note these meatheads were talking about jeeps from 41 til the 70's

"P.S.: There was nothing "special" about the grease your 'Old Man Willys' and Kaiser used in 1941-71 Jeep 4WD front axles. Sodium was a common choice, and a wise one I agree, for a vehicle subjected to everything from the Burma Road to the Battle of the Bulge in winter. As I note, Marfak was around since 1924, and Willys had no trouble, I'm sure, finding sodium NLGI #0 and #1 for the closed steering knuckles and #2 for the wheel bearings. "

Little did tweedle dee and tweedle dumber realize that on the 41-45 jeeps the trunnion bearing was OUTSIDE OF THE KNUCKLE. So unless your CV joint can sling grease through about 1/4 inch of steel... ain't no grease getting agitated no where near the trunion (aka kingpin) bearings on a 41-45 jeep front axle.

So yeah... ignorant (look it up... its the proper word) people abound on the internets!!

To their credit, the do make the distinction between sodium and lithium based grease.. and that sodium was more apt to have the oil come out of suspension.. and that is what caused the knuckles to weep and need replenishment (every 1000 miles by the TMs).

With modern lithuim grease, pack the bearings, pack the CV joint, put a light coat (1/16th inch) in the hub and call it a day.

First guy to say 'corn head grease' gets falcon punched. :lol:
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Off-Topic