One google search save me $250 on pet meds

News, events, issues/items of the day. Does not need to be MV specific.

One google search save me $250 on pet meds

Postby pfarber » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:38 pm

So my old SugarBear was at the vet and we got her a blood workup and it came back positive for Lyme disease. No biggie… Shilo went through this in March. Told the vet to call in a script to the local WalMart pharmacy as this was the route I went last time.

Go to pick up the pills and the lady says 'You know this is almost $300??' My reply: "Then something is wrong.. this should be a $30 prescription".

She said "well, its been filled so you have to take it". I laughed (out loud even) and said there was no way I can return something I never paid for.

So the pharmacist comes over and says "a few months ago doxycycline was very cheap, but it went up in price". I said that doesn't matter… I don't have $300 to give you, and that they should have used a generic medicine. She said it was blah blah blah. I told them to write down the name and dose so I could make sure the vet gave the right thing.

I go home and google doxycycline prices and yes, just about everywhere that script would be $300.

NOW HERE IS THE KICKER: Amoxicillin is just as effective and is a $4 a month prescription!

So I call the vet, tell them that I want them to change the script to Amoxicillin as its on the Walmart $4 plan. They checked with the vet and called in a new prescription.

I'm not sure who to be mad at… Walmart for not using the $4 generic or the vet for not knowing.

Moral of the story: NEVER BE AFRAID TO QUESTION VETS/DOCTORS.

If the vet said (and I later verified) that Amoxicillin was not as well tolerated, etc then I would have paid the $300 (which I do have… but I just knew that this script smelled funny) happily. This was also my second vet that I use when my primary vet doesn't offer many treatment options.. aka my second opinion.
- See more at: http://tripawds.com/forums/anything-goe ... h/#p127887
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Re: One google search save me $250 on pet meds

Postby pfarber » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:11 pm

It got even BETTER!!!

The young lady who I dealt with yesterday was there.... she never made eye contact with me. I think she purposely slowed down with her current customer so she would not have to deal with me.

So I go the next window and get Bears pills. $16. SIXTEEN FRACKING DOLLARS. I looked over at her and said (in a polite manner) 'rememeber me.. those $300 pills from yesterday?" I held up the bag "$16 dollars". She gave a quick smile and looked away.

So $296 - $16 = $280 saved with one google search and telling the vet to change the script.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Off-Topic