HF Extended Warranty....

News, events, issues/items of the day. Does not need to be MV specific.

HF Extended Warranty....

Postby pfarber » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:31 am

I bought a little pancake compressor a year ago from HF. From my research leaks were a common problem... so I got the extended warranty. For $9 its a free replacement in two years.

So I register on the HF site and all my other extended plans are already in the system (I bought some winches) so I try and file a claim via the web site. HF redirects you to a 3rd party and the site was a fucking mess. Chatted with support and not only could they NOT help with the login, they could not process my claim. So don't waste time with the online claim system it's horrible.

So I call the HF number. Described the problem and the rep asked if it blew a circuit or overheated. I said no (it didn't). I get an authorization # and I'm off to get a new compressor. They never said I had to take the old one back! I will, of course take it with me because as some point I'm sure they will want the old one back.

But here is the kicker... once you use the warranty it OVER. You are NOT paying for 24 months or warranty, but the ability to get a repair/replacement ONE TIME within that 2 years. So if the new compressor leaks in 91 days and I do not have ANOTHER extended service plan I have to live with a leaky compressor. Kinda sucks that the remainder of the warranty (over 10 months) is not transferred to the new item. When I read the contract, ITEM 2 COVERAGE TERMS specifically states "and continues through the end of the contract term." At no point does the contract say that its a 'only one time use' affair.

So we'll see how that plays out if the new unit also leaks after 90 days.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Re: HF Extended Warranty....

Postby pfarber » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:38 am

What also HILARIOUS is that the HF warranty says "within the meaning of a service contract in Public Law 93-637"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That is the MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT -- Public Law 93-637 they HAVE to follow that.. its federal law.

And all that say for service contracts is:
(8) The term "service contract" means a contract in writing to perform, over a fixed period of time or for a specified duration, services relating to the maintenance or repair (or both) of a consumer product.

Notice that this also specifically does NOT state 'once and done' rather a FIXED PERIOD OF TIME.

HF trying to get all legal and scare people. hahahahahaha
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Off-Topic