ATT Phone unlocked

News, events, issues/items of the day. Does not need to be MV specific.

ATT Phone unlocked

Postby pfarber » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:51 pm

Going to China and taking my cell phone. The internet would have you believe that ATT will simply unlock your SIM card if you ask. BULLSHIT. If you are under contract (I am less than 90 days into a 24 mo contract) they will not give you an unlock code UNLESS you pay the ETF (Early Termination Fee) of $305 less $10 per month of service. So I should have only paid $285... I'll call after I get back and have a statement of charges to get a credit.

I did pay $99 at signup for the Samsung Galaxy S4... so paying $305 (well, $280) more is not a huge deal for a now unlocked phone. I also terminated the 24month contract.. so now I am month to month with ATT. My normal ATT bill is $65+tax so a little over $70 a month for service.

Well, Walmart and Net10 have $40/mo plans that basically do what ATT does. So for $30 less a month I get a pretty good phone and the same service. Some quick maths means I will pay off the ETF in about a year. GSM networks are not going anywhere and the S4 is a pretty powerful phone.

PLUS I can use the phone in most foreign GSM networks. Like most of the world.

ATT wanted to sell me an international calling plan of 40 minutes for $70, no data. :roll: :roll:

A SIM card in China with 1Gb data and basically free calls is like 100RM or less than $20USD.

So yeah.. screw you ATT.

All my hotels have wifi so voice calls home should not be a problem.. as well as email.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Off-Topic