Do you even sell bikes dude?

News, events, issues/items of the day. Does not need to be MV specific.

Do you even sell bikes dude?

Postby pfarber » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:22 am

Since spring is (supposed) to be here Andi wanted a bike to take up the mountain and for rides to the Boyers in Ashland (like 3 miles away.. a nice ride). So we google bike shops in Harrisburg and find one (yes ONE). So we were finally in the area and stop in. Andi is ok with used so we asked them they (name of bike shop withheld) show her the bike. I bought my Fuji Sunfire at a different bike shop so I knew those guys know their stuff... and within a minute we knew that the only used bike they had was to small for her.. so we look at new, $400-$450 bikes. The 15in to small, the 19in to big... the 17in would be perfect.. and they have one... still in the box (or so they say they have one in the box 'in the back').

Bullshit detectors are starting to register mid to high levels of bullshit.

So I ask, "can you get it put together today and we come back in an hour or two?" No, they are busy. Can I take the bike with me, un-assembled? No that would 1. void the warranty and 2. it wouldn't be put together right. At this point I knew they didn't have the bike and wanted a few days to order one. So I say point blank: If we walk out the door without I bike I am not coming back. You can take my $430 and put the bike together (bikes are not even bolted together... they all have quick release clamps) or give me the bike in a box and never see me again... there's no way I would drive this far to get a bike 'serviced'... ITS A BICYCLE... not a fusion reactor.

The would not change their mind... because as I knew it, they didn't have the bike we needed to give me.

So we go to Dick's. They have just as many bikes and Andi picks out a 17in Hybrid (24 speed) in white. While the bike guy (evidently Dicks has an on staff bike guy.. who knew?) spent 20 minutes prepping the bike we got lights, a helmet, water bottle and bottle holder. All told it took less than one hour and cost $488 to get Andi kitted up in a brand new bike.

She got a Nishiki and it is a 'store brand', average bike. Its got disc brakes and the thumb shifters (my Fuji has caliper brakes and twist shifters). One thing that I like about my Fuji is that I have added baskets to the rear and a rack... the Nishiki doesn't seem to have the same pre-welded studs to add a basket.

But I am manly enough to pull of baskets on a bicycle.

My biggest gripe is that some wanker thinks that putting a bike together is some sort of science project. So when I read reviews about people who 'have to constantly take their bike to the shop' I have to ask what the actual fuck is wrong with people that they cannot figure out a bicycle??? True a wheel? Sure, you need a spoke wrench and at least one good eye. Change a chain or sprocket? That's a $60 labor charge at a 'bike shop' PLUS THE COST OF A CHAIN!!! Jesus H. Chirst when did people become so useless???
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Off-Topic