Parts washer... cheaper to buy new than fix.

News, events, issues/items of the day. Does not need to be MV specific.

Parts washer... cheaper to buy new than fix.

Postby pfarber » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:32 pm

So I have one of the old blue and red HF parts washer. Its a good deal but like many I burnt out the pump using solvents to clean rather than water based. Since 2017 is "Year of the G506" cause shits been in my garage for way to long I decided to fix it. It needs a new pump. Well, I actually threw the pump away (I think) so I need the whole assembly.. housing, hose, pump, switch etc. So I find out that Grizzly sells the parts and are much closer than HF's CA parts dept. So I add up the parts:

griz1.JPG
griz1.JPG (73.72 KiB) Viewed 5398 times

Well fuck me.. an entire new unit from HF ($93 less 20% + tax) $79.70

gf2.JPG
gf2.JPG (37.02 KiB) Viewed 5398 times

And in both cases the pump STILL isn't solvent cleaner capable:

hf3.JPG
hf3.JPG (24.76 KiB) Viewed 5398 times

Clean with water or household detergents? Like Dawn? Unless you get some hot water in there dish soap ain't cleaning shit. And purple power and the lot of Eco-freindly cleaners are just as useless.

It seems that Mineral Spirits is the ticket... I had used kerosene in my other pump and that's what probably killed it. We'll see. Even if I buy a solvent capable pump I don't have a housing or hose to put it in... so starting off with a new tank, while destined to end poorly, may last long enough to get the work done. Next up will have to be a "Little Giant' pump... those are $50-ish.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Off-Topic