CCKW Buyers Guide

Anything not covered in the specific categories above.

CCKW Buyers Guide

Postby pfarber » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:29 pm

For the guys or gals crazy enough to want a big, slow, loud and hard to drive MV to restore/play with, here are some thoughts on getting into your first CCKW.

First and foremost, DO YOU HAVE A PLACE TO PUT IT? You can sneak a 353 into and 8x8 garage door, but you will be doing a some prep work (lowering everything) and will only have inches (or less) to spare. A winch truck is just shy of 20ft long. So after you drive it in, will the door close? I currently have a 24x40ft garage with a 10x10 door and the CCKW takes up its fair share. Working on the truck in that size garage is OK, but other vehicles still need to be moved depending on what is to be done. I would advise against outside storage (unless your climate allows) because things like canvas will fade and deteriorate, bird droppings, rain etc will take a toll on the vehicles paint and tires.

After you have a place for it, what type of truck? Do you want to restore a truck or get one done? I've looked at a quite a few trucks and there are significant variations in the term 'restored'. To some, painting over the rust is a restoration. To others, disassembling every nut and bolt, sandblasting and repainting every part, repairing and replacing with NOS or take off as needed is a more proper definition of 'restored'. The completeness of your truck will dictate the price. My guide is as follows:

Parts truck: No more than $800 for a chassis/drive train. No more than $2k for a truck with a bed. These would be trucks with most of the parts in place (hood, fenders, drive shafts, wheels, good cab sheet metal, engine with all accessories).

Work truck: No more than $5k. This is a driving truck with breaks and all the major parts: cargo bed, cab and seats, running engine, and a winch. Take off about $500-$1000 if no winch. Most of these trucks were put into running condition by the owner (or previous) and generally do not have the factory parts, so while they run, they generally do not have the original parts to justify more money. If they do have some of the hard to get or commonly missing parts (proper gas tank and fuel system, proper electrical, spare tire carrier, bed with tailgate, etc) then add more, but generally the condition of these parts will require some work, so do not overvalue the truck just because it has a spare tire carrier, it may not have the correct spare tire lugs, or other issues that will be hard or to expensive to correct).

Motor Pool Truck: I borrowed this from the jeep guys. This is what I would call a mostly correct truck (drivetrain, cab, bed, accessories) but not in a restored condition. It may need paint or reconditioning (NOT repair or replacement) and will drive, stop, turn etc. All that would be needed is a good repaint and you have a truck right out of WWII. I value these trucks between $5k (353 cargo w/o winch), $7k (cargo w/w or dumper w/o winch) up to about $8-9k for a dumper w/w.

Factory Trucks: These are the show girls. All parts are correct, painted properly and installed correctly. These are the $15k+ trucks that get on the covers of magazines.

Be warned that working on a CCKW involves some truck sized tools that you almost certainly do not have. A complete set of 1/2inch and 3/4inch sockets may be required for some drive line work... as well as the standard tools. The GMC 270 engine is a HUGE beast that weights over 500lbs in full gear. Working on the truck can be amazingly easy, with the right tools. An air compressor with an impact gun is a must.

Parts for a CCKWs are available. There are a few vendors, but most of the CCKW owners trade among themselves. E-bay does have some parts, but bidding can quickly overinflate the price of an item. Rare parts are just that. There are very few reproduction CCKW parts, and as with most reproduction parts they are not 100% copies. The technology used in the mass production of parts (stampings, forgings) do not scale down well. NOS sheet metal is scarce, most sheet metal is take off. Engine parts are available as the GMC 270 was in production till the mid 60's, and many civilian trucks used it. The only parts problems are related to the brakes. The original hydrovacs used on early and mid CCKWs have long been discontinued. Rebuilding of original hydrovacs is an option, but rebuild kits are $500+. Mater and slave cylinders can be resleeved, but most times good rebuilt ones are available. Drive shafts, pillow blocks, axles etc are all available as take off.

The CCKW is lucky in that it has two close relatives... the 1.5 Ton Chevy and the DUKW. If you are looking for a part, it may be available from a person/truck/vendor that deals in those vehicles. Brake parts, some sheet metal etc will interchange, ask around if you are not sure.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Re: CCKW Buyers Guide

Postby pfarber » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:44 pm

Costs for restoring a CCKW are pretty staggering. There are 11 wheels, 3 axles, and an engine the size of most small cars. From the bottom of the oil pan to the top of the air filter a GMC 270 is almost 5 feet high (this is with the deep sump oil pan in place, of course).

Here are some numbers to keep in mind:

NDT tires for the truck= $2,000 (Fronts wear quickly, 3-5000 mile life, rears can go about 10k)
New wiring harness= Quoted at $700
Cargo bed, composite, unrestored = $1200-$1800.
Cargo bed wood, unrestored = $800 (unrestored is a very kind word.. more like rusted metal and rotted wood)

Cargo bed, composite, restored = ???? I have not seen one for sale. My guess is $2200-$2500 not including bows and frame mounts.
Cargo bed, wood, restored = $3000+ I have not seen a restored wooden cargo bed for sale. This is a guess, but they are rare.
Open cab half doors = I have seen $250-300 per door

Rebuilt split axle : $900
Rebuilt banjo axle: $1500

Fuel tank (late wide mouth) $250-$300

I'll add more parts as I run accross them.. but as this short list shows, the more initially complete your truck is, the less you will spend on parts... keep that in mind. I would buy a truck with a complete bed (that would still need restored) with a shot motor than a running tuck with no bed.
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Re: CCKW Buyers Guide

Postby pfarber » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:55 pm

Other things to add.... BE PATIENT. I've been told by the CCKW 'experts' that part X is rare, or that there are no NOS parts for Y.

I have to say that I am either extremely lucky or people like me more than I think they do. I have had not trouble finding both wooden and composite cargo beds. I have not seen a steel bed for sale. Spare tire carrier? Had 3 at one point.. sold two. Parts are out there, but you have to be patient. I will gladly pay to pick small parts off a truck. You really never need more than one frame/cab, and it simply comes down to keeping your eyes open for parts trucks and asking the seller for parts, or, as I have had much luck with, go to the truck, look it over, and show the owner some Benjamins ($50's). More ofter than not you will get some parts.

I always start low and work my up up.. I am not there to make the seller rich, but pay a fair price for the parts I need. Whenever I go on vacation I a few months before I leave I start searching for trucks for sale in the are. I drove out to California twice for parts on vacation. Got some very hard to get parts and have a good time along the way. I can say my dog Yeager has seen more of the USA than most of my relatives :D

Another way to make parts trips worth while is post on the boards that you are willing to haul for others. I made $150 driving a GPW tub back from CA to NV. It was about 3 hours out of the way, but I met some nice folks and helped pay for gas.

Lastly keep on eye on E-Bay. I paid $45 for a Voltage regulator a week after I bought a $150 shipped from the UK. For $45 I was not going to pass up a regulator. Repair kits are available so even if its DOA I can repair it for another $40 or so.
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to General