GMC CCKW in Czech Private Collections

Anything not covered in the specific categories above.

GMC CCKW in Czech Private Collections

Postby pfarber » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:21 pm

Got this book recently and at just over 70 pages I am afraid to really grade it.

First, these guys are to be commended for keeping US MV's alive and running behind the Iron Curtain. I lived in Germany for 6 years and know all about the 'cold war' and COMBLOCK oppression. Yes, a pair of Levi's really could get a ton of stuff, and people behind the 'wall' were starving for freedom.

That said I am going to be much more 'tolerant' in my review because these guys really didn't have access to parts. Unlike US owners who have had the luxury of 60+ years to get it right... and still don't.

The book is claiming to be another 'modelers guide' therefore it really concentrates on the outside and cab. The trucks shown are average trucks with slightly above average original part counts. The shop van on the cover gets quite a few pages (as it should... its a rare variant) and the information presented is somewhat useful. The MG mounts and winches are also give extra attention.

Don't expect production preserved trucks... I'm sure the Russian or Czeck Army got as much as they could out of them before letting them go.

I am VERY surprised that few of the CCKWs in this book have the passenger side mirror (as they should not.. not in the frequency of US/Eastern 'restored' trucks) but I think the GMC brush guard logo makes up for it. There are tons of them.. improper for the model/year.

I paid $25 for this book.. it is an average book (which is sad as average means the typical errors and FUBAR'd trucks that most people cobble together and try to pass off as service grade vehicles) but gets bonus points becuase they kept these CCKWs running in situations much tougher than any of use ever faced.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to General