Origin of the term 'Jimmy'

Anything not covered in the specific categories above.

Origin of the term 'Jimmy'

Postby pfarber » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:33 am

Does anyone have a reference to the term 'Jimmy' being used in a US Army WWII document?

I have read over a dozen Army Motors (WWII editions) and never saw the term 'Jimmy' applied. They use GMC, 2 1/2 Ton truck, etc, but never 'Jimmy'.

When they reference the Ford GPW or Willy MB they do use 'jeep', '1/4ton reconnaissance car' etc.

Some books (the Tankograd CCKW book) makes note that the term 'Jimmy' was never used in WWII, and I am starting to agree as I have found no references supporting it.

Does anyone have a reference, a story, a limerick that would explain the origin of the term and how/why it is applied to the GMC 2 1/2 ton truck?

I read about it in a forum, but now that I've read dozens of TMs, I am starting to question the term. Jeep was used all over the place. GMCs far out numbered jeeps, yet Jimmy is never used.

Did we make this up post WWII?
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Re: Origin of the term 'Jimmy'

Postby MilitaryDave » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:02 am

I was invited to attend a Veterans Day Memorial Service at the Nat. Cemetary in West Los Angeles with my G-7117 last year. I was standing next to her when a WW2 Veteran was being wheeled by in his chair. He was from the old guard at 96 years of age. I talked to him for a minute and asked what his M.O.S. was. "Motor Sergeant, T-4!" He exclaimed. "I wrenched on and drove 'em" He went on to say. I asked him what trucks he talking about. "Jimmy's, you know, the G.M.C. 6x6!" He then said, "what you got here is a G-506 with winch, and she's is in pretty good shape too". I asked if any one ever referred the Jimmy to a duece and a half. He said some of the young guys did but the older guy like me called 'em Jimmy's or 6 by's.
He was a hoot to listen too, and he was still pretty sharp. I thanked him and shook his hand as his grand daughter pushed him away toward the car.
MilitaryDave

Postby pfarber » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:30 pm

As a reenactor I can personally attest to (and so can the vast majority of reenactors) that first person accounts from vets are to be taken AT BEST with a grain (nay, a 10lb bag) of salt.

I've have vets (101st AB if you believe the hats they wear) swear that B.A.Rs were not issued, and that every one of them had Carbines, among other whoppers.

I don't disagree with their recollection, but I also do not rely on it as sole source evidence. I have read many books and unit histories (the Army Heritage Museum is an hour away and has plenty of official 'personal interviews' conducted post war (like late 40s') and none of them *ever* say Jimmy.

So, unless you can cite something in writing.. a book, magazine, whatever its just another passing recollection.

Best analogy I can give you is the jeep. That term WAS used very frequently in both civilian AND military publications. Since there were more people driving more CCKWs if the term was commonly used, I would expect it to have popped up *SOMEWHERE* in a publication.... Popular Mechanics, Army Motors, a newspaper... but there is nothing.
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby pfarber » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:12 am

Got a new issue of Army Motors. Its a late 42 issue. The there are always nuggets of info, but the most interesting thing I've read so far is the use of the phrase "GMC 2 1/2 tonners"

I found this interesting as I am trying to document if the slang 'jimmy' or 'deuce and a half' were ever used, and more importantly written/recorded anywhere. To date nothing as surfaced. So when I read this phrase my interest was peeked. Several other slang terms were used (well, just one one, and it referred to 'dodges', not 3/4 ton command car etc).

I also spent a day in Carlisle PA at the Army Historical Museum and read several (about 6) interviews submitted by GIs, as well as formal written reports. Nothing referring to jimmy or deuce was found. These were a mix of Engineers Infantry, Artillery and Quartermaster units from the 28th Infantry division in Europe.

If anyone has something referring to those two phrases please let me know.
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to General