Anything not covered in the specific categories above.

Postby 47lincsled » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:44 am

Hi Guys, Like many I've gotten tired of the the over bearing perfectionist at the other site, so I thought I would give you guys a try, I've been involved with military vehicle for some 15 years now, started with a 53 M-37, then traded up to half-tracks, restored a 43 M-2 White, but the truck I've wanted to build for many years has been an open cab 4X4 Chevy, I know they were never built but they look so good, plus they are much cheaper to run the a CCKW, about 10 years ago I bought 4 CCKW's from a rancher, two were parts trucks but one was used for my yard truck for 8 years, the other was a LWB open cab, no beds on any of them of course, recently I drug home two G-506's, I had just planned on putting the 270/5 speed in the chevy chassis and replacing the cab, but both chevy frames had problems, so I cut both frames and used the chevy rear on the CCKW front, caught a bunch of flack from the purist of course, but none of three were good enough as they were, so from the three I have built one, it's coming along slowly but I think it will be great when it's done! Bob. Image
47lincsled

Re: new member

Postby pfarber » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:44 pm

Umm... this may not be the best place to post about franken CCKW's.

If you plan to restore the trucks to military livery then welcome.... more than happy to help.

If you are going to post about putting open cabs on chevy frames and general butchery then you may want to look elsewhere for like minds. There has to be some hot rod web sites that are more appropriate for your endeavors. Google for 'rat rod', that should get you some decent custom fab forums.

About the only person that i can think of that has done 'non-stock' modifications to CCKWs is a guy called Dr. Deuce... he may lurk here, but I haven't seen him post.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby 47lincsled » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:09 am

Here I thought you were tired of being nit picked by others, now I see it may not have been all their fault. Can you prove that a truck like this was never built by bored motor pool guys, I've heard several tales of just this being done, beside the fact that licensing a CCKW in my state would cost about $500 a year, where as this truck is going to cost me $38, plus I don't have to buy an extra 4 tires,3 U joints and all the extra stuff that goes with the extra axle, not to mention the fact that driving a CCKW around a town is much harder then a 4X4. The main reason I even bothered to join was so I could get a set of your decals, but with an attitude like that I don't know if it's worth the trouble, maybe Joel had a valid point.
47lincsled

Postby pfarber » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:15 pm

You can build whatever you like, they are your trucks.

If you have specific sheet metal, engine, drive line questions about G508's or G506's then ask away.. I have just about every CCKW TM and lots of time to help you figure out the answer.

CCKWs are expensive, and big, and slow, and heavy... that's the appeal. Any one can get a jeep. The commitment to a CCKW is much more.

And yes, I do believe bored GIs bolted all kinds of things together to 1. serve a purpose 2. stay alive 3. have fun.

If you thought the 'other sites' were strict, then tm9-801.com is going to shock you. I see the other sites as way to informal and off topic with regard to CCKWs. You'll note that just about every post here has a TM cited, or at least a period picture as a reference.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to General