Thumbs up to the molasses rust removal method.

Anything not covered in the specific categories above.

Thumbs up to the molasses rust removal method.

Postby pfarber » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:08 pm

I bought a jug of feed grade molasses, about $10 at Tractor Supply

IMG_0381.jpg

Got a bucket and filled it with about 10% molasses and the rest water:

IMG_0378.jpg

The test subject was a jack of unknown original (ok, I bought it for my jeep.. it was only $20). The screw was stuck and the steel (more likely cast iron) was rusted and the ball bearings under the cup at the top were rusted so it would not rotate:

IMG_0375.jpg

Into the brown water it went. Originally I had it in my basement (unheated) and not much happened for 3 weeks. But for the last two weeks I had it outside in the warmer weather and much has happened. A foamy layer of sludge appeared at the top and when I took out the jack and scrubbed it off I was looking at bare metal! The screw turned, the up/down tab worked and the cut at the top was rotating freely.

I have another bucket munching away on some lug nuts and assorted bolts from the CCKW.

Other than the time it took... I must say that I am impressed with the process. Its nowhere near as fast as electrolytic rust removal (that takes about a day) but the two are comparable in results. I would have to give an edge to the molasses simply because if can do the ENTIRE part at once, with no rearranging to get the anode/cathode lined up to get it to work.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to General