Must have tool: 5 gal pail pump

Anything not covered in the specific categories above.

Must have tool: 5 gal pail pump

Postby pfarber » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:46 pm

I've been looking for a way to move fluids (gear oil etc) out of bulk 5 gallon pails and into differentials, trannys etc.

Most have been to expensive or not quite right for a jeep.. The CCKW has to much headroom I can usually pour from a smaller container into a funnel.

Check this out.. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=95068

All of $10. Has a nice LLOOONNNGGGG hose (4ft) and screws on to the bung on the pail.

Since the local tractor supply has both motor oil and gear oil in 5 gallon pails... life just got easier for me :)
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby WWII TRUCK » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:08 pm

not worth it, stewart warner has a mucg better product that has a lever pump handle and is easier to operate while under a vehicle. one gets just what they pay for.
WWII TRUCK

Postby pfarber » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:18 am

If you are gonna send me one free then I'm in. :)

In 10 years of the HF pump breaks, then I'll get another one.

Rather have $$$ for parts than for once a year use pumps.
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby WWII TRUCK » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:26 am

Different strokes for different folks, it must be difficult lying under a truck and pumping that toy contraption in restricted space,I guess if one has arms like a chimp it would be no problem.
Something tells me I am correct. about the arms.
WWII TRUCK

Postby WWII TRUCK » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:23 am

What? Nobody plays with their trucks anymore.
I thought so. But how am I going to learn?
WWII TRUCK

Postby pfarber » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:42 pm

I have approx 4 feet of headroom at the rears and a bit over 3 ft at the front.

I can sit up and open the diff in the rears. If I take off the bumper I can do the same up front.

Plenty of room under the ol Jimmy for me and my toy pump. It only starts to get crowded when T.J. the motor pool lab crawls under with me. If I could could only teach him to turn a wrench :lol:
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby WWII TRUCK » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:15 am

4' of headroom while under a 6X6, not all of us are short enough to walk around under a duece. How do you reach the pedals?
WWII TRUCK

Postby pfarber » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:30 pm

Only thing I hit my head on is the pintal hook and bumpers. Once pass them there is a ton of space between the frame rails. The tipper has the cylinder back there, but still I have not had any problems with my 6'1' 280lb frame hitting anything when under the truck with my toy pump.

The closer to the transfer case you get the more things are in the way, but even taking off the hydrovac was not hard.. lots of room, except on top of the vac. But you can get to that from between the cab and bed.
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to General