352 - Help Please To Understand What I've Got

This is a test forum to highlight the best and worst of the CCKWs on the road. It will be HEAVILY MODERATED. If you post a critique, you BETTER have a TM, Part number or Reference to back it up... otherwise it will not be approved. Basically its to discuss running CCKWs and point out the good, bad, and things that need further explored. Since there are so many new CCKW owners hopefully this can become a guide of sorts.

352 - Help Please To Understand What I've Got

Postby Vulture » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi Guys

As I posted recently I’ve recently acquired my CCKW 352 B1. I’m a total novice with regards to CCKWs and I’m looking for some help in trying to understand what I have in my possession. The basic information and what I have been able to glean thus far is as follows:

Chassis No: CCKW352 315834
Model No: CCKW-352 B1
Axle Type: Split
Body Type: Cargo - Metal
Declared Date Of Manufacture: 1944
Production Series: 4th (Apr-43 to Jan 44) (Chassis No: 213652 – 321077)
First Registered in UK: 1 Oct 1989
Winch: Yes
Pioneer Rack: Fitted

Things spotted thus far:
1. Cut-outs in the cargo body uprights.
2. Engine has been a light green at some point.
3. It didn’t come out of the factory as Navy Grey, but has certainly been this colour for at least a decade.
4. Engine side panel on the passenger side has mesh on it.
5. No mount for Oil Can on engine bulkhead.
6. Wipers are electric (and don't work well ! LOL).

If I start posting a series of photos I’m hoping those more knowledgeable than myself can provide comment, which might give me an indication as to who had it after the war, and what bits are missing/wrong on it.

Kind regards

Ian
Vulture

Re: 352 - Help Please To Understand What I've Got

Postby pfarber » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:11 pm

1. Cut-outs in the cargo body uprights.
This was a late war modification to allow better drainage of water/dirt from jamming the uprights in place. Army Motors article details this.

2. Engine has been a light green at some point.
3. It didn’t come out of the factory as Navy Grey, but has certainly been this colour for at least a decade.
Post war engine colors are all over the place. Has no bearing on the truck other than it was most likely rebuilt/replaces while in non-US Army service.

4. Engine side panel on the passenger side has mesh on it.
Part of the radio filtering system. Should be on BOTH side engine vents. Only the upper vents, not the lower.

5. No mount for Oil Can on engine bulkhead.
No caged nuts or no holes for the oil can? Should have at least the holes to mount the oil can for preventative maintenance.

6. Wipers are electric (and don't work well ! LOL).
Wipers were always vacuum unless replaced post war.

Please post pics.. but you have a run of the mill NATO truck. Any data plates??
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby Vulture » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:58 am

Paul

To start things off I rattled off a few photos of the engine compartment before getting rained off. I'll take some photos of the dataplates next.

I hate the fact that whoever sprayed the truck years ago, couldn't be bothered to mask the wiring (sigh), it looks a right mess.

The bulkhead on the passenger side is doing a bad impression of a piece of Swiss cheese with all those holes in it :(

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Kind regards

Ian
Vulture

Postby pfarber » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:02 pm

That's a pretty typical NATO truck. The battery cut off switch on the passenger side is one mod that needs to go.

The oil can should mount on the two horizontal holes at the 9 o'clock position of the embossed 'x' stamped into the firewall. They are actually stiffeners to prevent the metal from 'oil canning' or popping.

Here's a quick image I found that shows the firewall:

firewall.png

As you guessed all the other holes are bonuses. Most likely mounting holes for misc cab bits. Weld them over... nothing mounted on the passenger side except the oil can, the fire extinguisher and one or two other items (a hot water cab heater or an SCR-610 radio).
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby Vulture » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:36 pm

Paul

Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated, I'll post some more pics this weekend. As an aside, do you have any good colour photos of what you consider to be a really good example of what the engine bay should look like ?

Kind regards

Ian
Vulture

Postby pfarber » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:47 pm

No, I have not seen any colour pictures of the CCKW engine bay. There color photos of the CCKWs that are out there are all exterior shots.
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby Vulture » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:33 am

Paul

I was thinking of recent photos of vehicles (perhaps your own) that you had seen yourself that you consider best reflect what the engine compartment 'should' look like.

Kind regards

Ian
Vulture

Postby pfarber » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:41 pm

My CCKW's engine bay is far from being restored. I am still collecting the parts to even START a restoration. I just finished a rebuild of my GPW's engine (spun the rear main bearing) and that has sucked most of the fall's time and money from the restoration bank.

I will spend most of December getting the M35A2 in shape (I have to mount two tires on the rims, fix the horn and in tank fuel pump) for winter as that is my 'driving in the PA snow' mobile.

I did repair the fuel pump and painted the oil filter (and put decals on it 8) ) rebuilt the carb and will rebuild the govenor this week.... but not much will be done on the CCKW till spring and warmer temps.
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby Vulture » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:52 pm

Paul

Here's a photo of the bulkhead by the pedals from the inside:

And then from the engine compartment:

Any idea what all those holes could be for ? + any other thoughts on what you see ?

Regards

Ian
Vulture

Postby pfarber » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:32 pm

No idea. I do have a Norwegian CCKW TM from the 60's and they don't show anything mounted on the drivers side. Only the passenger side (battery cut out switch is the big one).
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby Vulture » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:58 am

Okay, thanks anyway.