Wood... hahahahaha

He's the modern version of Joe Dope! I respectfully and solemnly dedicate this forum to the great one. These posts are moderated.. so if you want to post, they will not immediately appear.

Wood... hahahahaha

Postby pfarber » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:38 am

Bendy me over tried to form a complete sentence about wood... and fails.

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f= ... 8381497b76

"
Re: G518 BEN HUR SIDE RACKS AND TOP BOWS QUESTION(S)

Postby Ben Dover » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:01 pm
According to the specs on the acceptable wood used for horizontal bows on cargo bodies, both white and red oak are acceptable."

Well, it isn't until later that we learn that the 'specs'.. (are they???) are in ORD-SIP-E4 "STANDARD INSPECTION PROCEDURE FOR WOOD BODIES" For Guidance of Ordnance Inspection Personnel. No source.... or even if that is a WWII document. I cannot find it. So unless what good is citing a source no one can verify?

Re: G518 BEN HUR SIDE RACKS AND TOP BOWS QUESTION(S)

Postby Ben Dover » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:19 am
Am positive that Army Spec wood used on a restoration will outlast the owner, but also depends on exposure. The bows on my CCKW and Ben Hur are OEM, the Ben Hur Bows came from BCA or Mullins.
The wood racks in these pics are a mix of seasoned Ash, Oak and Maple, all on the approved list of WWII Spec wood, and were milled and installed in 1986. There are no signs of aging.
Can anyone pick out the difference between the Ash, Oak and Maple?

Hmm army specs require wood to be preserved and repainted as required.

Let me see if I CAN PROVIDE SOME REAL PROOF (You know I can.. come one.. it's me!) Any carpentry TM will do, but how about the page 162 of of the Sept 42 issue of Army Motors?

'.. for the most part, the woods used are hardwood and in EVERY CASE (emphasis mine) they have been treated with a special preservative for protection against rot, and attack by insects, notably termites. The preservative is called 'toxic sealer'.'
'The woodwork is further protected (and camouflaged) by a coat of primer and two coats of lusterless O.D."

And lastly the king of 'I wish I knew it all' Bend-Me-Over-a-carpenter's-saw-horse regurgitates something about 'tell the difference between red/white oak.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

oak.JPG
oak.JPG (37.64 KiB) Viewed 4048 times

If you look on youtube you will find videos of people blowing bubbles in water THROUGH red oak.

"As to the reasons why you’d want to be able to distinguish between the two, most of the answers have been explained above, but I’ll recap:

White oak is much more resistant to rot, and is suitable for water-holding applications, boatbuilding, outdoor furniture, etc.

Red oak should only be used for interior pieces such as cabinets, indoor furniture, etc.

White oak tends to be more dense, while red oak is a bit lighter and has a more porous and open grain.

White oak is usually slightly more expensive than red oak."
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Things Dover/Gopan/WWII Truck is wrong about