The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Enter at your own risk. I have no desire to start another site so this is really for things that I am interested in but have nothing to do with MVs.

Feel free to post/contribute. The same rules apply as the rest of the site.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Postby pfarber » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:49 pm

I am starting to believe that Japan is the source of all good in this world.

I just watched The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and while the series was pretty random (WATCH THE MOVIE. DO IT. DO IT NOW! - The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya ) they do give us this gem:

japangod.JPG
japangod.JPG (39.08 KiB) Viewed 2474 times

That's right. God is a hot chick in a bunny outfit that plays back up guitar in a rock band.

Keep it frosty Japan.. we need you guys to come up with brilliant shit like this.

[youtube]lpL61Y-hLN8[/youtube]

Notice the very effective change in Haruhi's glance from center to off to the right (0:22 in). Its a minor thing that you notice, but don't register... gives the character more realism than a 1000 yard stare. While the other band members may not have many (well, ANY) facial animations if you look at how the instruments are played they are all done fairly accurately... esp the lead guitar fretting and the lips are synced *perfectly* with the Japanese words. English is close... but its spot on for Japanese.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Re: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Postby pfarber » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:18 pm

I watch this knobs review of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya evidently this guy watches a lot of anime and the tries to form complete sentences about it. Problem is, he sucks at it.

Here's the 'review' (I wish I could air quote that somehow)

[youtube]IOYKZkIsWYc[/youtube]

His wrap up starts at about 8:00 and he says that he wishes he could find fault the he could not just understand.... yeah.. Even though he proclaims to have watched the flick multiple times he must have been asleep for most of the 3 hours.

Here are the fatal flaws (yeah, there more than one):

First, Haruhi has nothing to do with her own disappearance. The timeline was changed by Nagato. They even show her do it. Second, Nagato has, in the series 'Endless Eights' shown that she is not affected by time distortions or timeline alterations. All 15000+ loops show her to be completely cogent of every action of every loop and keeping accurate records, to boot. Nagato is also the one that leaves behind the bread crumbs to allow Kyon to set the timeline back. So yeah.. huge plot issue there. Lastly, Ms. Asahina being a time traveler was also aware of the changes. Why SHE has knowledge that Nagato seemingly doesn't is a mystery... every character in the alternate timeline is altered except Kyon.. yet Ms. Asahina 'from the future' (of a different timeline no less) is still fully aware of the changes. And the BIGGEST flaw... Haruhi's character shows a personality change that really makes no sense.. why did she sleep at the hospital? At not point in the show did she ever show any feelings toward Kyon yet when the 'timeline is restored' Haruhi is sleeping on the floor???? No. Just no.

That alone is enough to call bullshit.

The movie is good, and well animated... but I think I remember why I gave up on Anime before... the Japanese can come up with some excellent characters and wonderful visuals.. but most of the time they simply can't get a good clean resolution to the plot.

Since the ENTIRE movie is about Nagato basically being in love with Kyon (she was the one who wished for and ultimately altered existence so she could be a human girl) THAT plot should have prevailed... not some bullshit Kyon loves Haruhi so he must get her back. Its like three messes all spilled on the floor. But the real winner would have been exploring Nagato's new found humanity... that would have been some really good t.v.

And if anyone cares to play Fuck, Marry, Kill

FUCK: Haruhi (center)
MARRY: Nagato (left)
KILL: Ms. Asahina (right)
f1.JPG
f1.JPG (50.46 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Re: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Postby pfarber » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:26 pm

Here is a very good and funny review

[youtube]DQsr-_r70w8[/youtube]
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Way off topic. I mean it.. nothing MV related. You have been warned.