The Devil Is a Part-Timer! はたらく魔王さま!

Enter at your own risk. I have no desire to start another site so this is really for things that I am interested in but have nothing to do with MVs.

Feel free to post/contribute. The same rules apply as the rest of the site.

The Devil Is a Part-Timer! はたらく魔王さま!

Postby pfarber » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:38 pm

This is a very recent series (13 episodes) that aired mid 2013 and the English Dub is out mid 2014.

The plot is a mess, but overall this is a quick and funny romantic drama about Satan leaving the world he ruled ( Ente Isla - God Damn it Japan, how do you guys keep coming up with these epic names?!!) to Earth via a portal just before the hero Yusa Emi almost defeats him. Once Satan arrives in Tokyo, he decides that he will conquer THIS world.. but quickly learns he needs to 1. regain his magical powers and 2. get money to live... so whaa whaa he gets a job at a MgRonalds (God Damn it Japan, you did it AGAIN. I love you guys). Under the guise of his new persona Maō Sadao, Satan and with his loyal general who escaped with him Ashiya Shirō (Arushieru in Ente Isla), Satan/Sadao works a menial part time job to pay living expenses.
Unknown to Satan, the hero Yusa Emi follows him to Earth and her sworn duty is to kill the Devil King, because you know, revenge for killing her father.. She get's a job as a telephone operator/help desk and faces many of the same issues as Sadao.. the only problem is that Sadao has actually changed and wants to protect the humans and their inherently good souls. He just like 'flips a switch' and becomes a gaurdian of sorts. And his helpful attitude (aka Japanese Society at its finest) frustrates Emi to no end and is the root of just about all the comedy (and it actually is quite a funny anime) as she comes to rely on her arch enemy more and more frequently.

Add in some boob jokes, a third party love interest and Emi's realization that good and evil are not that cut and dry and 13 episodes later you have this FANTASTIC anime series!

Boob jokes!
bbb1.PNG
bbb1.PNG (301.26 KiB) Viewed 1930 times

The animation is pretty good, the facial expressions are well done and Ami's eyes really give her character a quality that, when she is mad, really brings her character alive. And she is mad A LOT.

The main female leads do have quite thorough back stories so you know what their deal is, but the male characters not so much. Chiho (the love interest) does learn everyone's secret and she accepts it all.. because you know, having a crush on Satan means that you have to accept demon powers, church law and magic. Because you know, Satan is such a hunk. hahaha

I do hope there is a second season. As the they did allude to the Church back in Else Isla would be disgraced if word got out that Satan was still alive, and not, as the Church announced, dead. Because the Church can never be wrong. And the climax of the series was when Satan protects Emi and Chiho from an angle sent by the Church to kill him.

Plus the Emi/Sadao conflict is just to damn funny.

The voice acting is very good and I immediately recognized that the voice of Sadao was the same actor that did the voice of Akira Tsubaki from Mysterious Girlfriend X.. which is one of my favorite anime series. I'm not sure how I feel about 1. knowing that many anime characters, 2. Having a favorite anime voice actor, or 3. admitting that I actually liked Mysterious Girlfriend X.

Time for Fuck, Marry Kill (left to right)
Chiho - Marry, she just so cute and sweet... and boobs.
Ami - Fuck, anger issues, and little boobs
Suzuno - Kill, annoying voice and a whole bunch of crazy.
diapt.PNG
diapt.PNG (857.23 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Way off topic. I mean it.. nothing MV related. You have been warned.