The Fierce Wife - Tawainese dramas in General

Enter at your own risk. I have no desire to start another site so this is really for things that I am interested in but have nothing to do with MVs.

Feel free to post/contribute. The same rules apply as the rest of the site.

The Fierce Wife - Tawainese dramas in General

Postby pfarber » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:26 am

Netflix has a few English subbed Chinese dramas (well, made in Taiwan) and I gotta say they are all pretty good series.

mq.PNG
mq.PNG (325.03 KiB) Viewed 2452 times

tfw.PNG
tfw.PNG (204.24 KiB) Viewed 2452 times

ac.PNG
ac.PNG (191.45 KiB) Viewed 2452 times

After watching 'My Queen' and 'Autumn's Concerto' Andi and I are watching 'The Fierce Wife' and the quality of all three shows is very good. Sure, they can get a little 'soap-opera-y' at times, but usually the stories are varied with plot twists that keep things entertaining.

I will also give a shout out to the quality of the actors (esp. the women). Last night I counted no less than 4 full on sobbing crying scenes by Wei An. I'm talking tears dropping off the chin snot rolling out of the nose scenes while still delivering her lines. The child actors are also pretty damn good.

Whats interesting to me is that they all convey typical Chinese cultural norms (The Fierce Wife: Divorce; My Queen: Leftover women aka single women over 28; Autumns Concerto: Being a step child, family bonds, old pervy men) in what to me is pretty open way. I mean being 28 and single in the US is nothing... but to watch a show where it pretty much consumes a woman is pretty eye-opening. I mean ONLY 28 years old and no one will marry you? Whaa??

All three shows have made liberal use of English and even as part of a humorous bit... well done.

There are some glaring issues. Post-production dialog edits are easily detectible. I mean they are really, really bad edits. Also the music is pretty much one track/song... FOR EVERY THING. The SAME music. Also some of the knock-off clothing is pretty hilarious.. Wei En constantly wears a basketball shirt that has 'Philadelphia 89'rs' on it (vs the Philadelphia 76'rs).

PRO TIP: NEVER, EVER compare your Asian girlfriend/wife to another Asian girl. I made the mistake of saying 'wow she's pretty' during one scene where one of the actresses was dressed really nice. Whenever I would watch the show I was told that I wanted to 'see my new girlfriend' and then Andi would throw a mini tantrum. She's 43 acting like 3 or 4. Not sure if she is just being cute or plotting to kill me in my sleep. Watch 'My Queen'.. Shan Wu Shuang is kicking it at the ripe old age of 33.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Way off topic. I mean it.. nothing MV related. You have been warned.