$50 cell phone! Oh hell yes!

Enter at your own risk. I have no desire to start another site so this is really for things that I am interested in but have nothing to do with MVs.

Feel free to post/contribute. The same rules apply as the rest of the site.

$50 cell phone! Oh hell yes!

Postby pfarber » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:40 pm

So my Galaxy S4 had a cracked screen. 3-4 hairline cracks that really started to piss me off because it was over a few key on the keypad so typing would result in no/double characters. Not all the time, just enough to annoy.

All the 'cell phone repair' places wanted to replace the entire digitizer, a $90 fix. On a 4 year old S4 that's nuts. So I did buy a glass replacement kit with optically clear glue. Its a little more work for a $20 fix. But then I went to ebay. Ebay has tons of used cell phones, but I wanted an S4 specifically because worst case is I swap the motherboard (aka the guts) and keep the new screen.

So I snipe a few auctions and win an S4 from a seller. So $51 later I have a new/used S4 with a good screen, and generally Excellent condition. the bezel is not chipped, the home button is new and no scratches anywhere.

First thing I do is request AT&T unlock the phone. I go to the web site, type in the EIN and request an unlock. Less than 3 hours later I had an unlock code!! $51 for an excellent condition UNLOCKED phone! Damn!

Since its an S4 I know how to flash/root (to gotta kill those damn ads and bullshit add on apps) I flash to 4.4, Root, upgrade to 5.0.1 and clean the apps.

I'll probably try and replace the screen just to try it.. then have a burner phone for travel or even as a wifi only/911 phone.

Maybe even write an app or two.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Way off topic. I mean it.. nothing MV related. You have been warned.