United luggage damage... not sure if I'm happy

Enter at your own risk. I have no desire to start another site so this is really for things that I am interested in but have nothing to do with MVs.

Feel free to post/contribute. The same rules apply as the rest of the site.

United luggage damage... not sure if I'm happy

Postby pfarber » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:54 am

So I buy a nice 26in suitcase. Samsonite PVC spinner with microdot texture and I added in an external web strap to keep it secured if a zipper pops. $150ish all told from Amazon.

Two domestic flights and two international flights later I take my luggage off the carousel and see that the zippers are damaged. One is zipper is snapped (the broken part is still in the TSA lock) and the other zipper was ripped out of the TSA lock (breaking the lock) but did not damage the zipper. Basically I can never lock the luggage again as one zipper is broken. At 11:45pm on a Thursday I go to the United baggage office and show them the damage. The lady is really not sure what's broken even though the broken zipper is clearly hanging from the TSA lock and the other part of the TSA lock is clearly ripped off. I took some photos just to document the damage. After some explanation she sees the damage.

After taking some notes I'm offered a 'replacement'. A no name ABS POS with shit wheels an a metal handle so thin its bending under its own weight. I said no thanks, your $35 POS is nowhere near the same quality as my $125 PVC Samonite. So I'm given a temp suitcase to put my clothes in as they need the damaged suitcase to send to a 'repair shop'.

I really hope that they can fix it, and they do it right. I was told that it would take a few weeks (no biggie, I just want my nice suitcase back, fixed).
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Re: United luggage damage... not sure if I'm happy

Postby pfarber » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:14 am

This part of the damage. Both zippers are damaged. I have a blurry photo of the lock, but its obvious that there is damage.

zip.JPG
zip.JPG (66.2 KiB) Viewed 6075 times
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Re: United luggage damage... not sure if I'm happy

Postby pfarber » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:19 pm

Well I got my luggage back from the service center. The fix included new zippers and new TSA lock. So I'm pretty happy with United's handling of this small repair.

The double bonus is that they never asked for the loaner suitcase back. So I have a second (although pretty cheap ABS) spinner suitcase for free.

So the take away is BE NICE TO THE AIRLINE FOLKS. I mean it was 11:30pm at BWI and unlike some of the other people in line (there were about 5-6 ppl in line) don't act like an ass just because your luggage is damaged.

Funny thing was that my flight from PEK I had to clear customs/immigration at EWR. Now at DWI my baggage was checked all the to BWI. But for some reason at EWR I was supposed to collect my bags after immigration/customs, leave the customs area, then hand my bag back to the airline after I leave. Well I didn't. So I had to go to the United Help desk at EWR and tell them that I left the secure area without my bag. The agent said no problem it will be forwarded on after they clear the luggage from the carousel before a new flight. Since the layover was 4 hours (yeah, I could have driven to BWI in less than 2, but airline hub and spoke ticketing is a thing) there was plenty of time for my bag to be put on the same plane with me.. although it did get damaged.

So while United has gotten a lot of shit lately (which in some instances they COMPLETELY deserve) I had on good experience... although I didn't travel with a dog.
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Way off topic. I mean it.. nothing MV related. You have been warned.