Lawyers are idiots, I can prove it

Enter at your own risk. I have no desire to start another site so this is really for things that I am interested in but have nothing to do with MVs.

Feel free to post/contribute. The same rules apply as the rest of the site.

Lawyers are idiots, I can prove it

Postby pfarber » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:48 pm

So my friend is widow and has had a green card for 8+ years. She wants to naturalize. Cool.

Most ppl know that if you are married to a USC, you can Naturalize after 3 years, 2 years before 'everyone else' who has to have LPR for 5 years.

But I look up some info for her and find this:

"Although the I.N.A. doesn't say this, it is referenced in the Code of Federal Regulations (8 CFR 319.1(b)(2)(i).), which states:

A person is ineligible for naturalization as the spouse of a United States citizen under Section 319(a) of the Act if, before or after the filing of the application, the marital union ceases to exist due to death or divorce, or the citizen spouse has expatriated."

So if your USC spouse dies before the 3 year mark (actually before you physically take the Oath) you MUST wait the FULL 5 YEARS.

Here's a short list of idiots.. er Lawyers, that don't know the law but will HAPPILY take your money.. well K. V. Jairam got the answer right. Kudo's to you sir.

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/how- ... 36903.html

And no, the law has not changed since 2015.

Do your own research, Lawyers don't care if they are wrong, it's your money they use to learn on the job.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Way off topic. I mean it.. nothing MV related. You have been warned.