Any good Deuce stories?

Topics relating to the GMC 2 1/2 ton truck while in production, active duty service or post military use.

Any good Deuce stories?

Postby WWII TRUCK » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:03 am

I am trying to learn about GMC Deuces. Annyone got a running one to talk about?
Which surplus ones are best, the ones from overseas, or one that is restored over here?
I have not seen an army one since the 50s, and I was not a driver.
WWII TRUCK

Postby pfarber » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:54 pm

Best turn key Jimmys (they are not called 'duces', duce and a half refers to later M series trucks. I have no idea why its called a Jimmy, but thats what sojers called them back in the day) are probably at armycarsusa.com. He brought back quite a few surplus Norwegian (IIRC) CCKWs as they used them till the mid 80's in service. I took a tour of his place when picking up some parts and aside from some european features (lights, mirrors, paint) they were excellent, complete vehicles.

Parts are available, but again a much wider NOS selection is available overseas. With the horrific exchange rate, those parts will stay over there for quite a while.

CCKWs are found all over. Mine is from Washington State, quite a few come from CA and AZ.

My CCKW is an open cab 353-A1 model no winch, long wheelbase, cargo bed. Has lots of original parts, but had to scavenge a correct bed. Drives great, takes about 4 days to accellerate to 40mph, takes 5 days to stop. Has the turn radius of a battle ship and rides like the tires are made of stone.

I've had just under 3500lbs in the back (verified by weight scales) and it took the local PA hills quite good, 12MPH.

Wouldn't trade it for anything... well, almost.
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby WWII TRUCK » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:20 am

12MPH, now that's a running truck. I don't need a deuce to do that, I can go that fast by myself.
WWII TRUCK

Postby pfarber » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:13 pm

Was not gonna try and upshift with a load on a hill... my double clutching is not that good.

Plus all the TMs will tell you to start at the bottom of the hill in whatever gear you think you can pull the hill in. Again, the double clutch thing. The driveline is going to slow its RPMs RAPIDLY, while the engine will decelerate much slower. Meaning that by the time you have them sync'd up, your are probably behind the power curve and will stall the motor.

Not a very exciting story, but one there is a lesson in there somewhere.
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby pfarber » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:22 pm

WWII TRUCK wrote:12MPH, now that's a running truck. I don't need a deuce to do that, I can go that fast by myself.

As I said, a 'deuce' is an M35, most commonly (now) a turbo charged fuel injected diesel with (if you are lucky) an automatic transmission, rated at 134 HP.

My CCKW, is a air breathing gas guzzeling straight 6 with all of oh, 34 S.A.E. HP (TM9-801 pg 16).

And I get all of 8MPG. Verified.

There is a reason why CCKWs don't race in mud bogs or go to tractor pulls.

:lol:
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to History