VoV has 4th series vac mod

Modifications made to GMC's to keep them running or running better. Installation of non-military components for safety or comfort.

VoV has 4th series vac mod

Postby pfarber » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:18 pm

Its finally happened.. an advance in CCKW brake technology.. somewhat.

www.vehiclesofvictory.com has made a bracket that allows a 4th series Hydrovac to be installed in place of the original.

The complete kit (including the vac!) is like $300.

If you are wary of the your vac failing, or want to update to a newer unit for parts availability... here's your chance.

Is it me, or does the chick on the hood, far left, look like a dude?
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby WWII TRUCK » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:01 pm

I'll stick with the original Bendix 3rd Series that matches factory spec. They are engineered to be exactly compatible with CCKW and availible. Safety is priceless, lawsuits may just factor in that the make do 4th series is advertised as a will fit cheaper substitute. It only takes one bad accident. I'll bet the seller will not guarantee in writing that it as equal to the original.
WWII TRUCK

Postby pfarber » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:28 pm

IF the vac meets the specs for hydraulic pressure (working pressure is just over 1000psi IIRC for a second series) at the same manifold pressure then whats the big deal? The original leather sealed vacs have a specific lifetime... I'm guessing its not 60+ years :)

The third series vacs are still available, but for the cost or a rebuild going to a more modern vac is a win win.

There are so many other places brakes can fail.. putting in a modern vac is not going to magically make brakes 'un-safe'.
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby WWII TRUCK » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:23 pm

When there is a serious accident involving a 6X6 and a law suit results, there are consultants involved. discovery of repairs not in line with the factory manuals,, drivers, possibly inexperienced with the truck, the general condition of the truck, etc are a factor. Trucks involved in serious accidents may be impounded and a DOT inspection team will go over it. Many MVs are registered in accordance with Antique Vehicle provisions that waive inspection, with the presumption the vehicle is restored to original condition. Finding the vehicle is not in original condition will result in problems for the operator.
WWII TRUCK

Postby pfarber » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:08 am

When I win the powerball...

When I find a 100% original CCKW in a barn...

When I marry a supermodel...

You can't be serious. How many people work on thier own cars now a days? How many of them are getting sued for 'improper alterations/maintenance?' Look at your average motorcycle... first thing people do is take off OEM stuff and replace with it chromed parts. How many lawsuits come of that?

Performance chips, dual piston brake calipers, ported brake rotors.. and thats just the start of what my friends kid has on his car. Do you think ANY of that is 'authorized' by Ford (its a focus).

Your brakes can and will fail for many more reasons than a replacement hydrovac. How many ppl have replaced their brake lines that are 60+ years old. How much rust do you think is in them? How thin are the walls? Ditto for the rubber lines.

As for 'original condition' and the historic registration.. show me one 6x6 accident where this is even an issue. DOT impounds an accident vehicle? In what state does a private vehicle get impounded by the state after an accident? Unless criminal charges are involved all the cars I wrecked (3 so far :( ) go to the mechanic of my choice for the INSURANCE company to look at.

Short story:

I live in Gordon PA, at the base of the Gordon Mt. AT LEAST twice a year some retarded truck driver (thats 80,000 for truck + freight) will lose THEIR brakes down the grade and crash at the bottom. Early last year a driver was squished in his cab by the trees he hit at 70+ mph. I've seen PENDOT inspect the tucks, find worn tires, bad brakes etc etc. NONE of the driver were arrested, and other than the Borough (the borough manager is my neighbor) filing a claim with the insurance carrier, NOTHING has come of it. I HARDLY doubt that a 10,000 6x6 wrecking is gonna cause even a blip on the radar. Just another accident.
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Re: VoV has 4th series vac mod

Postby Drdeuce » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:25 pm

My two CCKWs on the road right now have the hydrovac's like the ones VoV sells. They work just fine.

They do come with a vac check valve and a warning that the warranty is void if you do not use their check valve.
Drdeuce

Postby pfarber » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:56 am

Is the 'new' check valve a vac or at the manifold (like the original)?

I have replaced the original and took it apart, it was not obviously damaged... but since the brakes were getting worked on (and it was only a $35 part) I figured why not. Deceptively simply device. Seems like repairing it would not be a huge ordeal.

At some point we will need to master the art of repairing these old units, or finding suitable substitutes.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby Drdeuce » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:01 pm

As far as stopping and safety:

I was at a great WW2 display in early Aug and had to drive home in the rain towing the (empty) water buffalo. With the NDT's I was not going over 30 mph. I came around a corner at about 25 mph and a car had stopped to take a left (two lane road). I stomped on the brakes and all 10 wheels locked and the truck-trailer shuddered to a stop with "some" room to spare.

Remember: when you start out after starting the engine, step on the brakes much harder than normal. If nothing bad happens, enjoy your trip. If not, better in your yard than in my example above.

All my trucks have the original check valve. I installed the 2nd one by the booster.
Drdeuce

Postby Vulture » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:30 am

Drdeuce wrote:As far as stopping and safety:

Remember: when you start out after starting the engine, step on the brakes much harder than normal. If nothing bad happens, enjoy your trip. If not, better in your yard than in my example above.

Sound advise ! :)
Vulture

Postby pfarber » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:08 pm

NDTs suck. The are basically racing slicks and you literally throw away half the tires width due to the NDT tread pattern.

In mud or dirt they rock. On wet pavement they are barely acceptable. As long and things stay dry you are ok.

Siping would help.

If you want to drive with some degree of control go with civvy tires (they are completely accurate for a wartime truck, just not 'factory').

But if you want 'the look' you need to drop $300 each for NDTs.

As always, the TM9 page 331 gives testing guidance:

http://www.tm9-801.com/searchTM9/tm9_pages/396.pdf
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby motto » Sun May 12, 2013 7:58 pm

Just over three years ago in my home town of Melbourne, Australia, an accident occurred during a veterans parade in which six elderly ex-servicemen were run down by an HMV. The vehicle involved was a WW2 Canadian Military Pattern truck known in this country as a Blitz. Fortunately, despite at least one of the men being run over by a wheel and having his pelvis broken there were no fatalities. The truck was impounded by the authorities for examination during the course of which no faults were found. The police did not lay charges for a year because if any of the injured had died within that period as a result of the accident the charge would have been much more serious.

The driver, in his 60s, was found to be at fault, lost his driving license for a year and received a substantial fine. For us owners of larger HMVs the outcome of this accident was that anything bigger than a Jeep or Land Rover is not to be used in this event which is a great disappointment.

Yes, s**t does happen!

David
motto

Postby pfarber » Sun May 12, 2013 10:06 pm

In many States in the US (including PA) the annual safety inspection is not required on vehicles titled as Antique (20+ years old) or Historic.

They are required to be insured, and there are limitations on how/when they can be driven (once a week, or to/from an car event/show).

Impounding of vehicles is very uncommon after an accident... the only possibility being a criminal charge where the vehicle is also evidence.

Even when my 1966 M35A2 was a 'daily driver' it was only required to pass the standard safety inspection and be properly insured.

Modifying the brake system on vehicles is a pretty common thing. Do you think the lo riders that are slammed or bagged are are running stock brakes? If someone is going to pour $$$ into upgrades to make a car go fast they generally make sure it stops just as well.
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Mods