Another source for Army Motors publications

TM's, FM's ORDs, SNLs or FSMWO's pertaining to the GMC 2 1/2 ton truck.

Another source for Army Motors publications

Postby MiTasol » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:39 pm

Good day all.

I found your excellent site while trying to find copies I am missing for the publication Army Motors and find I have ones you are missing.

I got my first copies from http://radionerds.com/index.php/Army_Motors#1940.

Note that site at the top of its home page says "Radionerds.com is a completely free and open resource for radio restoration information. Our goal is information preservation, not control and restrictions. We want you to copy and duplicate these manuals anywhere you wish, the point here is to make these manuals so easy to find on the internet, that no one would bother to buy a CD or try some CIA/MI-6 scheme of authentication to allow you to have something that is PUBLIC DOMAIN. That's right citizens, US Military manuals are all Public Domain!... copy them - all of them... put them on your own site, put them on your friend's site, copy them to a thumb drive and send to your Aunt Minnie, whatever. Selling them or restricting access is *wrong*, that's why we're making it easy for everyone to get them - for free! You can help to keep our site at the top of search engines by linking back to us."

Given this approval may I suggest the tm9-801 administrators take up the offer and copy or link to those editions your site is missing, and allow radio nerds the same privileges.

Note I am not a vehicle restorer, I collect ww2 training documents, mainly aviation related, and I will upload any TMs and FMs I have that may be relevant.

Regards

Mi
MiTasol

Re: Another source for Army Motors publications

Postby pfarber » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:25 pm

I've been sharing copies of Army Motors with that site for a few years.

Some of the issues I have as 'In Progress' are done, just need uploading... been busy.

Glad to see that Radionerds is staying on top of things.

Honestly, I haven't a seen copy of AM that I don't have available for purchase a a few years. Like everything else you collect, its feast or famine... right now its pretty much famine.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Postby MiTasol » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:42 pm

Good day pfarber

I know what you mean about busy, and I am retired!

I do not know what part of the US you hail from but there are a couple of possible sources that you may not be aware of

You can find them, especially the nearest to you, at http://www.worldcat.org/title/army-moto ... ht=edition

If you look to the right you will see that some are microfilm (thought to me that is the worst option), and most library's will allow you to print from the film. Many libraries have an inter library loan system (but not for overseas library's so no good to me) so you may be able to get them locally thru that service.

The only advantage of the microfilm is that usually contains a complete set of a publication.

Paper copies are harder to access but using the contact the librarian link on the right you can find what issues each library has. If there is a copy local you can usually photocopy or photograph it (or if in another city with no inter library loans) maybe another member in that city will do it as part of their support for the group).

I have found that some librarians will make you a good quality photocopy rather than have a whole tribe of your members drift in from time to time and possibly damaging the book.

The cost can range from free to peanuts to solid gold but when it is the only source what can you do. :(

Note that Worldcat also lists thousands of TMs and FMs but they are listed as serials (like Time magazine) not as individual publications so there is no index. It makes finding individual copies "difficult". I contacted over 50 libraries for FM 10-63 Graves Registration (45-01-15) CH 1 and CH 2 before getting a copy of CH1. I am still looking for CH 2.

Hope this helps

Mi
MiTasol

Postby pfarber » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:27 pm

I've tried to use ILL via my local library but sadly they are just not up to speed. For paper issues (long shot) I would drive/fly almost anywhere to get a copy.

I'm close to Carlisle and the USAHEC library (http://ahec.armywarcollege.edu/) and I have a copy of the CCKW Assembly manual (from the TUP).. its an amazing read. But they are photographs and so far my efforts to get them into a usable form has failed. To get a per page xerox to scan would be over $100 and I'm about ready to pay the for the service... its that amazing and I want it for the site.

I did call the Library of Congress and got a few TB's emailed to me (I was amazed they had them on hand).

I guess I should put up the manuals that I have.. site needs some new material.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Publications