The GMC 6x6 'A Universal Truck'

TM's, FM's ORDs, SNLs or FSMWO's pertaining to the GMC 2 1/2 ton truck.

The GMC 6x6 'A Universal Truck'

Postby pfarber » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:37 am

Picked one up off e-bay. Paid $49.. not bad considering what a google search showed as prices (from the low of $49 to over $110).

The book is hardcover and provides a condensed history of the CCKW family from pre-WWII to the 1970's. Most of the pictures are of french trucks, with french specific mods/paint. That is the really only drawback to the book.. the 'French-ness' of it. Although it show's trucks used by many countries (US, China, Russia, Israel, to name a few) and in many wars (WWII, Korea) none of it was very helpful in answering any of the question I have about my 43 CCKW-353.

This is not a reference book. Other than standard front/side/quarter shots there is no detail save whatever caption the photo has. No interior shots, few engine shots of any detail or use, little drive line information.

It is a good addition to the CCKW bookshelf. It is heavily illustrated, but unless you have your eye on a rare variant, or a french specific truck... you are not gonna find anything new here.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Publications