I can no longer recommend Portrayal Press

TM's, FM's ORDs, SNLs or FSMWO's pertaining to the GMC 2 1/2 ton truck.

I can no longer recommend Portrayal Press

Postby pfarber » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:23 pm

I have collected over 3 feet of TMs for the CCKW.

I also completely recommend that you DO NOT use originals for day to day maintenance.

But, seeing the quality of a Portrayal book vs the quality of OTHER publishers (even just guys like me who scan stuff in to share) its no longer a bargain to use them.

I don't wish the company any ill will, but I do hope they rescan the TMs.. the cost and quality of their current offerings is just to poor when you have all the other sources (and even ORIGINALS.

I have made a thread of TMs online as I find them... I'd recommend you go to them first. Portryal is simply not keeping up with the CCKW TMs.
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Re: I can no longer recommend Portrayal Press

Postby PatrickT » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:45 am

Greetings Paul:

I read several of your very critical posts about Portrayal Press and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Patrick Tipton and I recently purchased the Company.

First, thank you for the feedback. We can only improve if we have honest and genuine input from our customers and other constituents in the community. Our goal is to delight customers with great bound reprints.

To that end, we are working on several things. First, we are in the process of launching a new website that will have a complete listing of our offerings. Second, we are exploring technologies that will allow us to maintain or even improve the quality of original manuals (pictures in particular) and do smaller print runs. As a guy who has purchased lots of manuals and worked on motorcycles, tractors and a host of other vehicles (including military), there is nothing more frustrating than poor scans or copies, including much of what you find for free on the web. Our goal is to offer a complete selection of high quality printed and bound manuals at reasonable prices. Finally, we have a massive collection of manuals that we have never offered in print. We will be adding new titles over the coming months. On that front, we welcome inquiries or requests for obscure or hard to find titles.

Thank you again for the feedback.

Regards, Patrick
PatrickT

Re: I can no longer recommend Portrayal Press

Postby pfarber » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:26 pm

Thank you for your time to let us know that the manuals will be still available.

As you stated, the quality of digital manuals for the CCKW is far superior to what Portrayal Press is offering. My pointing that out is nothing new. 5 or 10 years ago there were no digital TMs and Portrayal Press filled a very urgent need for manuals. I own at least 5 paper manuals from Portrayal and the copy of the SNL-G-508 I bought 6 years ago is well worn and greasy from use. And for that I, and many CCKW owners must say 'THANK YOU' to Portrayal.

But in 2013 the offerings are third rate. Your paper edition of the SNL is almost $100 while digital versions are 1/5th that and are much clearer. That's why I have said that digital offerings are a much better value. Get the brake slave cylinder diagram greasy? Print out another one. I don't even begin an overhaul unless I have the parts diagram taped to the wall.

Also 5-6 years ago sites like TM9-801.com and CCKW.org didn't exist, and sharing of information was relegated to non-specific web sites that have, as I like to put it, assholes in charge (g503.com being the worst).

Going forward my plans are to put a complete SNL-G508 online, I already have a TM10-1562, and many other TMs in digital format. I have many Chevy TMs in the works, as well as Army Motors. I don't begrudge you making a profit off the TM's. But my goal is to make smart CCKW/Chevy owners, not money (although cash would be nice).

Good luck with Portrayal Press, I look forward to seeing what new manuals you put up for sale, and their quality.

Paul Farber
I got a Mountain Cur and a ~~pitbull~~ big loveable cuddle puppy
RIP Kimber 5/26/2022
RIP Yeager 1/3/2019
RIP TJ 3/25/2014
RIP Sugar Bear 8/29/2014
RIP Shilo 4/10/2015
RIP Yuki 2/19/2017
pfarber
Motor Sergeant

Return to Publications