Front axle tear down and rebuild...

Topics about the engine, transmission, transfer, axles, or wheels/brakes of Chevy 1 1/2 ton trucks.

Front axle tear down and rebuild...

Postby retro-roco » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:09 am

I've completely removed the front axle, and torn it down to the component level, and after blasting will be replacing the trunnion bearings, and all the gaskets and knuckle seals. I dropped the third member, and I had decided to just do a cleanup and re-install, since the spider gears etc. worked so smoothly (the truck has 23,000 miles??).

Working on the third member this weekend I decided that I really ought to just tear it down completely, so I could have the third member casting blasted like the rest of the axle. I am so glad I did! In tearing it down, I realized how bad the differential side bearings are. There was all kinds of slop in one of the bearings, and the other inner race has been rotating on the differential housing, causing some wear that I'll have to repair.

I'll post pics, but am really glad I decided to finish the job! I just look forward to the day when I'll be working with clean, new grease instead of tearing down stuff covered with this stinky black crud...
retro-roco
Motor Sergeant

Return to Engine/Drivetrain